1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question about HR34-700 and different dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by auzambo, Oct 10, 2013.

1. auzambo

auzambo New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    My apologies if this has been asked before...I couldn't find the answers I wanted through the search feature (though I admit to not looking for very long).

I'm going tailgating this weekend and need to know if our equipment is compatible. We usually use an old 18" round dish and the silver standard def receiver, but I just found out our source for the standard def receiver can't deliver. We're stuck with the HR34-700 Genie receiver, the 18" round SD dish (probably 5 or 6 years old), and I have an old slimline HD dish (about 3 or 4 years old) at home. I apologize, but I don't have the specific model numbers for the dishes.

1. Will the 18" round SD dish work with the Genie receiver? I called DirecTV and they said it would not but I see several sites online that suggest that I can in fact use the standard def dish. I obviously wouldn't get the HD channels, but that's fine.

2. Even if the 18" dish will work, I'd like to try the slimline dish first. Will the slimline dish mount tightly on the same pole we used for the 18" dish, or do they require a different diameter pole? Unfortunately the two dishes are in different locations, so I can't simply look at them to compare them.

3. If I am able to securely mount the HD dish, how hard is it to pick up all the needed satellites? I never adjusted the angle settings on the dish when I took it off the my roof, so I hope it's just a matter of making sure the mounting pole is vertical, then slowly rotating the dish until I get a solid signal.

I've set up the standard dish and receiver many times before with no problems, so I'm hoping the HD dish is basically the same. If there's anything else I need to know or other advice that can come in handy let me know.

Thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes it will work, there's a setting for it. However you do need the version with two outputs (which is all you can find now anyway) then you need to run from that into a 3x4 multiswitch, then all four outputs into a SWM8. It's a lot of work and the SWM-equipped Slimlines are cheaper.

The Slimline dish requires a 2" pole, the 18" uses a 1.66" pole. Several online retailers sell adapters to go from one to the other if needed.

It's harder than aiming the 18" that's for sure. In addition to Azimuth (compass) and elevation (up/down) there is a tilt adjustment as well. It's easier to aim the Slimline-3 than the Slimline-5, getting that 119 satellite dialed in can be a pain.

My advice is to watch the videos on it, and give yourself plenty of time. Get the 101 dialed in 1st, that should get you fairly close to the 99 and 103 as well. If you do choose the Slimline-5, be patient and make little steps on all 3 axes until you get it just right.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No you can't use the 18 round dish with the HR34 as this receiver is a SWM only receiver, meaning it will only work with a SWM dish or SWM switch.

Back in the days DirecTV used to have two different size masts. 1 5/8 for the SD dishes and 2" for HD dishes. So if your 18 round dish is one of the older ones you will need a new pole

If you want to use the slimline dish, you will need a SWM LNB to go along with it. You can also use the 18 round dish but you will need a SWM8 switch paired with that dish

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes it will work, there's a setting for it. However you do need the version with two outputs (which is all you can find now anyway) then you need to run from that into a 3x4 multiswitch, then all four outputs into a SWM8. It's a lot of work and the SWM-equipped Slimlines are cheaper.
    Actually you don't need a 3x4, you can just go straight from the 18 round dual LNB to the first two ports in the SWM8 switch

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can say that again! !rolling

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    !rolling

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I had trouble posting that, and it looked like nothing went thru.

Also, there seems to be several dup threads today too. Are we having issues ?

:eek2:

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    What's going on ?

I get no indication I have posted anything, so I hit post again, and it all goes out. Erf!

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I've been having the same issue today. Posting a message takes me to a blank page. I go to the previous page and do a reload and my message is there (along with the message ready to post as a reply again).

EDIT: now it doesn't even take me to a new page. There's something wrong with some PHP code somewhere.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same issues here lately with posting ...

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I saw the same thing, and almost hit post again but realized that must have been what was happening. Anyway, it was quite obvious the multiple posts were not intentional ;)

12. auzambo

auzambo New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    I looked for some videos on YouTube but was surprised that I actually couldn't find anything useful. Is there somewhere in particular I can look?

How do I know if the dish is the correct kind? Our slimline has 4 coax cables coming out of it. My wife is supposed to send me another picture that will hopefully tell me the specific model number.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be more work than I want to do or am capable of doing with my limited resources.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    then you must have a SWM switch somewhere. the HR34 only works with SWM systems.

14. auzambo

auzambo New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    That's what I figured. Guess I won't bother then.

It's all moot now anyway. This afternoon I found someone who is letting me borrow their standard receiver, so I can use the 18" round dish.

Thanks for all your help guys. I learned more about DirecTV in the last 24 hours than I planned on learning!

15. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Oops. I missed your last post. So what I had to say makes no sense.