1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

question about install limitations

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sat01, Jan 30, 2013.

1. sat01

sat01 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2012
    hi, just curious are there any restrictions or limitation on what the dish can be installed on?

specifically we have a building with corrugated aluminum that basically looks like this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00sCGazVTEIgrd/Corrugated-Aluminum-Sheet.jpg ...but not sure if its possible to install it on such material.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Is the corregated aluminum attached to a roof decking or is it attached to only the rafters below.

For a stable install the mount needs to be lagbolted or otherwise connected to a very firm base.

The irregular surface of the corregated roofing will also create a problem.

3. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I think you are asking for trouble there. I wouldn't consider it unless, like Jim says, it is a very firm base beneath it and then I wouldn't be sure.
    I mounted a dish on a 4X4 post attached to a fence post which went into the ground and was very firm indeed. The only problem was that the ground here is clay and it expands when wet and contracts when dry. I had to repoint the dish shortly into the rainy season and shortly into the dry season. That got old after a couple of years so found a better mounting place.

4. sat01

sat01 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2012
  5. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    It could be done but to me the simplest way would be to put a pole mount right next to the building.

6. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    We did what was supposed to be a temporary install on a building made of that. We did however put up a 2' x 2' sheet of treated plywood that they had on hand on the building and then used regular wood lags into that. Just happens that the plans to relocate the building and dish never happened and that dish was there +10 years with no issues.

If the dish had been fastened directly there would have been too much side to side play when the wind blew on it.

7. sat01

sat01 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2012
    i've considered a pole.. only problem is it would probably need to be 10 feet high b/c of the line of sight clearance issue. basically the same height as the building. if i could attach it to the roof somehow, that would be ideal. maybe i could use something like concrete board, which supposedly its very durable.

8. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    If you dont mind attaching something to the roof you could bolt a non penetrating roof mount to the roof.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sort of defeats the purpose...

10. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    You could install a corrugated roof mount (some dealers refer to this as a NPRM). :D

11. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    aint nobody drilling any holes on my roof or house.
    :nono2:

12. sat01

sat01 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2012