1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about League Pass

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mbuser, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    Here's the situation:

The home broadcast of the game is on an RSN that isn't being broadcast in HD on DirecTV (yet). The road team's broadcast of the game is in HD, and is available in HD on DirecTV on the RSN channel for the road team. But the home feed is what is shown on League Pass, which essentially means that there isn't an HD feed for League Pass purposes. If you subscribe to both League Pass and the Sports Pack, can you watch the HD broadcast of the game on the RSN channel if you are not in the local market area, or is that feed blacked out so you're stuck with the SD version of the game? Hopefully they'll add more HD RSNs pretty soon so this won't be an issue for long.

2. kiwiquest

kiwiquest AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    No your local RSN has the rights for the game, so you will have to watch their feed. Hopefully, one of these days all the RSN's will be in HD!!

3. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    What if you don't live in either city? Is the road team's RSN blacked out in that case?

4. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Correct. Currently, there are no dual feeds in League Pass

5. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    Bummer. Hope they get the rest of the RSNs up soon, then.

6. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    It depends: (1) your city cannot belong to either team's territory, or else you have to watch the version available on your local RNS; (2) DIRECTV has the broadcast rights to carry one or both of the HD feeds, if available; (3) and the game version you wish to view is the one designated for League Pass.

So if you don't belong to either team's territory and DIRECTV decides to carry the road team's broadcast (usually unlikely), then you shouldn't be blacked out. Like previously posted, eventually, DIRECTV will carry both broadcasts and hopefully in HD. The only issue is if League Pass will offer two HD broadcast versions(i.e. home/road), which I don't think will be very likely. They figure that road team broadcasts would be only of most interest to the actual local team markets.

7. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    13 will launch on Wednesday. 1 additional RSN has been delayed until January

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Any hint as to which one the delayed one is?

9. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    A specific example:

Tomorrow the Nets are playing the Celtics in Boston. YESHD has the road feed. CSNE has the home feed, and the CSNE feed is on 75x for league pass purposes. Since CSNE isn't HD on DirecTV yet (although that might change tomorrow), 75x-1 doesn't have an HD version of the game. So someone who wanted to see the game in HD but didn't live in the New York or Boston area would be out of luck because the YESHD game would be blacked out for them. People in Boston would probably get to watch a spot beam on 95 or 96. Do I have it right?

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    i noticed this sunday night when the heat played the knicks... on nba lp... they carried the knicks feed which was 'MSG'... but I would rather listen to the heat announcers so I tried watching it on Sun Sports (ch. 632) but it would not let me... I live in Memphis by the way...

so apparently no matter where you live you're only going to get one feed or the other...

11. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    ok... so i have a question... what determines which feed (or RSN) will be mapped to league pass??

12. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I beleive they always try to use the HOME TEAM broadcast. Except on some occasions when the home team does not have a broadcast or D* does not carry that network then they will show the Away Teams feed.

I am guessing this based on 3 years of watching LP. This is just my observation. Not sure if it is true or not.

13. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    I have a practical question that I face a lot... I want to tape the Magic game. It is shown in the guide as being in SD on SUN or FSNFL, also in the NBA package area both in SD and HD. I am going to be out of the house at game time. What channel do I set to record?

In the past, even when shown in the guide in the 750s and on (now gone) 95 or 96, along with SUN or FSNFL, at game time some channels show as not available or not purchased, and only the SD version is shown on the RSN.

With as many as 4 channels showing the game in the guide, and 2 DVRs, the only solution I see is to record all of them and sort it out later. I have written to D* on this, and of course, there is no clear answer. Perhaps a pattern will emerge, now that the RSNs in FL have HD options. We'll see...

14. jeffwltrs

jeffwltrs Godfather

Apr 2, 2006
    I guess you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ question. Somebody from D* should be able to give us a simple answer. But, I am not holding my breath.

15. jeffwltrs

jeffwltrs Godfather

Apr 2, 2006
    Last week I e-mailed the "Office of the President" and they (Amanda) called me at home. I was questioning the lack of HD games shown and the games that were in the schedule and turned out to be black screens and was told HD games are not a part of the NBALP agreement. So whatever you get is a bonus, but, she gave me a $40 credit towards my premier package.

16. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    what is the email address or link to the office of the president?

17. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    That chick was wrong all that had to have happened HAS happened. The RSNs needed to go CONUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.