1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about local channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DaCypher, May 26, 2010.

1. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    I'd like to switch to the eastern arc due to much better line of sight. However, my locals (Miami) are on 119 and 110. My question is, can I just get rid of the local channels but still watch network TV somehow? I don't care about local news or anything; can I just get these channels from another market on the eastern arc or something? If dish ever switches the Miami channels to the east then maybe I'll switch back?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sorry, but no.

IF Dish carries your locals (and they do), then those are the only ones you can subscribe to.

3. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    OK so there isn't a special set of network channels that carry the nationally syndicated content (e.g. prime time TV)?

Also, any ideas when dish might provide Miami locals on the eastern arc? I can't get any of the new HD channels because I can't get line of sight on 129 and I can't get the eastern satellites because my locals are on the west. So frustrating...

4. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    You can go to an eastern arc and still keep the western satellite you need using a wing dish. You will end up with four satellites.

5. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Problem is, the HD is on 110 and the SD is on 119. He'd have to pick no HD locals or only get 5 of the 14 available.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not at this time. Network channels can be delivered as "distants" under specific rules - one of those rules is they cannot be delivered if the market has locals (whether or not you subscribe to your locals). There are other restrictions but it would be a fair bet that being in the Miami market you are not going to qualify for the nationwide distants (when offered).

There is no telling if DISH will ever move the market. Do you have line of sight to 110? If so you could (at your own expense) put in an eastern arc dish and add 110 for the local HD channels. You wouldn't get the SD channels on 119 but it might help.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, it sounds like you are in one of those "bad" places where Dish hasn't considered the ramifications of spotty reception on 129... and going to eastern arc to fix that leaves you hanging on the locals OR as suggested needing another wing setup to pick those up.

8. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    So maybe I could get dish to come out and add a fourth dish to get 72.7 (part of the eastern arc) to compensate for 129? That way I'll still get my locals and the new HD channels? Last I spoke with dish they didn't think that configuration could work because the receiver only supports getting signals from 3 dishes.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    All DISH HD receivers support five orbital slots.

10. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Rereading an older thread, it looks like a dpp 44 switch is needed to use four slots? Is that true? Maybe that's why dish didn't realize it was supported? If the receiver supports 5 slots why would this additional switch be needed?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The 1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes have a switch built in to the LNB casing that handles four slots (the three LNBs in the case plus one on the input connection). Five would require an additional switch and separate feeds to each tuner instead of each receiver.

The receiver is expecting one cable from the dish/switches to the back of the unit. Dual tuner receivers have one input for each tuner with a separator splitting the "one cable" to both inputs. On that cable the receiver will look for the signals from (up to) five orbital slots.

The other end of that cable is the switch. DISH's LNBs commonly have a switch built in to them. A switch (either the one built in to the LNB casing or an external one) is needed to join together the signals from all of the orbital locations you have on to that one cable the receiver expects to see, switching the feed to the receiver between the inputs available.

The switch is needed to do the physical switching between LNBs. The receiver is smart enough to control that switch but cannot by itself change the signal paths so it sees the right orbital location. The receiver can only ask the switch to make the appropriate change.

12. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    OK, so in my case since I will need 110, 119, 61.5, and 72.7 to get all the channels I'll need an external switch since I wont have any dish 1000s? Hopefully I can use this thread to convince dish this is a viable configuration...

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Viable configurations start with one complete arc. Either 119-110-119 for Western Arc or 61.5-72-77 for Eastern Arc. It will be an uphill battle convincing DISH anything without a complete arc is viable.

That doesn't stop you from spending your money building the system you want. There are plenty of places selling dishes and switches (although I've had more bad eBay deals on satellite equipment than any other category). If you buy from a real company you should not have problems. Used "I found this and I don't know what it is" eBay deals are the biggest problem.

Getting DISH to foot the bill will require you to play by their rules. Full arcs.

14. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    I can't get a full arc due to line of sight issues. Shouldn't that be enough for dish to play along?

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It isn't their problem. A lot of installs are abandoned completely due to line of sight.

I have a good local installer who will do just about anything to get a signal.
    Most are not covered under the basic install. But he has worked wonders.

16. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    That is exactly the configuration I currently have - all installed by Dish. I originally got a 110, 119, 61.5 install since I can't get the 129 slot here. They came out a month or two later and added the 72.7 slot to get me the new HD - at no charge. This was back in February as I recall.

17. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    How did you get dish to use that setup? Did you just get lucky with a tech that knew what needed to be done? I assume you have a dpp 44 switch in your setup?

18. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Just as I described in my post. I didn't request anything other then "get me service with HD" and the installers did the rest. They replaced the switch to add the 72.7 dish. Fortunately every thing they needed was in the truck.

19. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get dish to cooperate.

20. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Ok, two Dish techs and $30 later, I'm still back where I started. The last tech seemed to think my area might get eastern arc at some point which makes me think my locals might switch (or also be available on the east), but he really didn't know. I'm a bit worried since Dish keeps calling me telling me about some looming deadline in August when "everyone needs to be switched over". Is 61.5 going to switch to some other set of channels at that point or is this just some artificial deadline they've set internally?

The last tech also told me that a contractor might be more willing to do the special 119, 110, 61.5, and 72.7 configuration that I need since contractors have fewer rules to abide by. So I guess my next challenge will be to call Dish to get them to send a contractor instead of a standard Dish tech. Is this worth yet another $15 or should I wait and see what happens in August and live without some of the newer HD channels in the meantime?