1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question about Multi-Room and Cinema Kit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by paganhobbit, Jul 30, 2011.

1. paganhobbit

paganhobbit New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello, have a question...

Our setup is an HR21-700 DVR and an H21-200 in the bedroom. The DVR has two coax feeds from the dish and both receivers are hooked up with ethernet cables to my home LAN.

When Directv started offering whole-home DVR, I called to sign up and was surprised that they said someone would need to come out and install things. I said at the time I was in the whole-home beta period and it worked just fine. The CSR said he'd enable whole-home on our account to see if it would work, which it has just fine from what I can tell.

We've done VOD stuff on the DVR without problems too.

So my question is: would the Directv Cinema Connection Kit and/or the whole-home adapters they sell be of any benefit to us? I feel like we must be missing out on some feature that we could have somehow. Would it let the non-DVR receiver do VOD or something like that?

Thank you!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused:
    So you already have MRV and are using your home network, right?
    Each receiver is also connected to the internet, right?

If so, what more are you expecting??? :confused:

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Non DVRs can't do VOD. if your setup is hard wired and both receivers are connected to the Internet, going supported won't gain much. At least unless you get something like an H25 or other future box without an Ethernet jack. Then you have to go supported with SWM and a DECA cloud.

4. paganhobbit

paganhobbit New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Not sure, that's why I asked the question. To see if there was something we are missing out on.

5. paganhobbit

paganhobbit New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    @dpeters11 thanks for the reply. This is what I kept thinking and why I hadn't looked into much before. But started thinking about it lately and wanted to make sure. Thanks again.