1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about new install yesterday

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sangs, Mar 21, 2013.

1. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Just came back to D* because of the current new customer promo. Install went smoothly, everything seems to be working fine (knock wood). Have had D* in the past, but this new installation set up was different from what I'd experienced before, so wanted to check here to make sure it was proper.

-- Got a Genie, three clients and an HR24;
    -- Had an existing dish, so the installer checked it and decided to just replace the LNB(s);
    -- One line from the dish, the SWiM setup I'm assuming. However, the installer mounted an 8-way splitter outside my house on the brick. Not one of those large, powered multi-switches, as was the case before, but a sleeker splitter. Is that normal? I'm assuming it is installed this way because of the Genie setup with the five tuners from the HR34. First time I hadn't seen a multi-switch used. (I've seen that splitter used here in a past install, but it was mounted inside my house and took lines from a powered multi-switch that was outside the house. I also want to be sure the splitter is weather-proof, since it's outside.)
    -- HR34 connected directly to an ethernet switch located at the main TV. No "Cinema Connection Kit" or other attachment used.

As I said, all is working fine. Installer was friendly and personable. Signals are strong, all clients see each other, am able to share playlists and to download On Demand programming to both the HR34 and HR24. Just wanted to double check on the setup. Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, it is correct. The new SWM system uses only one coax per receiver and it can handle 8 tuners ( you currently have 7 ).
    If you add another HR to the system you would have 9 tuners and the setup would get more complicated.

3. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Thanks jimmie. I knew an 8-way would work with the amount of tuners I have. What threw me was just the use of a splitter from the dish as opposed to the traditional powered multi-switch from the dish and into a splitter.

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    What you have is a SWM LNB on the dish...it has a SWM "multiswitch" built-in. As jimmie notes, if you were to add another 2 tuners to your setup, then you would need a replacement LNB with 4 outputs, and an external SWM-16 switch. But as things stand, you are good with just a splitter.

5. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Ahh, there it is - the multiswitch built into the dish. Thank you Diana. No worries about the splitter being anchored outside in the elements though?

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Had it been placed inside -That would keep (water) from getting to the connectors -over time- I assume he placed it outside because your other wires (to Tv sets) Were in that outside location?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX

I have splitters on the outside and do not have any problems. They are placed under the eve of the roof and do not get direct rain on them. If your are placed where it will rain on them it is very likely that he used waterproof connectors for those connections.

8. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    I have the same splitters placed out side under an eve and when I asked about it was told they use the waterproof connectors.

9. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    OK, I'll assume it's waterproof then, because it's on the side of my house that gets hammered by weather.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    They are water proof - but nothing withstands the ravages of time!

11. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Tell me about it...Wait, are we still talking about electrical equipment? :D

12. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All DirecTV support equipment (splitters, ground blocks, switches, etc) comes with "weather booties" from the factory. even the LNB has one!