1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question About OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rduce, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I cannot seem to find anything recent on this question. Does Direct have any way to integrate OTA with a receiver like Dish receivers can? I do not want this to get into a pissing contest between the two companies. I just have a great many sub-channels that I watch and record and without that ability I cannot really consider Direct as viable.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The AM-21 is a dual OTA tuner that connects via USB

3. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    .. and when connected to a DirecTV receiver via USB, it integrates the local guide listings with the satellite guide listings for seamless operation.

There is a potential fly in the ointment, though. DirecTV's guide data for local stations may not include ALL of your local sub-stations.

On the HR-34 Genie model ONLY, it will at least scan for receivable local channels and sub-channels and will permit you to record from the ones not listed in their guide data on a channel/date/time basis, just like an old VCR.

For all other models, you can only record the channels that are included in the DirecTV-supplied guide data.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    With DIRECTV, you also cannot treat the OTA tuners as independent from the satellite tuners as Dish receivers can.

For instance with DIRECTV if you are viewing and recording two OTA channels, you may not record any satellite channels.

With Dish both OTA and satellite tuners are free to view and record simultaneously.

A significant advantage for Dish I must admit.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    With the HR34, you could simultaneously record 2 OTA and 3 satellite. Advantage DirecTV.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    And a VOD. :)

7. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    You're right. In the Chicago (3rd largest media market) we only get about 70% of the OTA channels with the AM-21. The channel listing on the AM-21 (when used with an HR-21, HR-23, HR-24 ) is more than 3 years old and has not been updated. Some channels are no longer on the air, some are on the air but the AM-21 can't tune them... it blocks them out! It's really a half-assed implementation of OTA and pales in comparison to what Dish has done. The only way to get around the problem is to have an HR-34 HD DVR with the AM-21. But the HR-34 has been flaky lately so good luck with that.

8. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    In a channel-rich market like Chicago, OTA only, combined with online services can fully replace pay-TV. Where I live, I can pick up both West Palm and Miami markets with a single small antenna on my roof. I'd consider this a very valid option compared to the increasingly costly and slow performing pay TV services.

9. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I second this. I live in Winter Haven halfway between Tampa and Orlando and the number of OTA options available to me make the idea of cutting the cord a viable option.

I'm not seriously considering doing it but I've definitely taken a few minutes to evaluate it.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep;

Should have specified that for the HR34, and I'm not even sure Dish's comparable Hopper even has an OTA module released yet. So yes, advantage DIRECTV.

However it is worth noting, that for every RVU client added to the HR34 you loose one of those three satellite tuners ;)

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, you lose a tuner temporarily when the client is active.

Also, for those with megasets- a mega number, that is, apparently you can install many RVU clients, and activate/deactivate as needed, given that it supporst a max. of three clients at once.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But AIUI, once an RVU client is activated on an account it's always active and claims a tuner from the HR34 unless its tuner is taken over by another RVU client.

Even if no one happens to be using a client it still remains active and claims a tuner. The only way the HR34 may reclaim the tuner is to physically disconnect the client from the system and call in the DIRECTV to deactivate it and remove it from the customer's account.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not so. Turning off/into standby frees up the tuner the client was using.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    One day a friend brought his AM-21 over and I hooked it up to my R22 to play with it. I noticed you could program in a SECOND Zip code (and thus obtain the channels in the OTA guide for that zip code).

WHAT IF there was a local OTA channel you wanted to watch but DirecTV didn't have it included in the guide for your zip code? Could you figure out all the OTA channels available from DirecTV by zip code and put in a zip code where that OTA channel number was available? Of course the program listings would be wrong but at least you could watch & record it...

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK great;

My "AIUI" tuuns out was a "AImUI" (misunderstand) :lol:

I probably need to get an RVU box I suppose, for the experience at least to avoid such errors but don't like the pricing structure for them.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...

17. HDbruce

HDbruce Mentor

Jun 30, 2007
    WHAT IF there was a local OTA channel you wanted to watch but DirecTV didn't have it included in the guide for your zip code? Could you figure out all the OTA channels available from DirecTV by zip code and put in a zip code where that OTA channel number was available? Of course the program listings would be wrong but at least you could watch & record it...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it works well. In the Burlington, VT market we have access to stations from Montreal. I use 05452 (my zip) and 58102 (Fargo, ND). The second zip permits me to tune and record most of the stations from Montreal. I have to do manual recording because the guide shows the programming for Fargo on the Montreal channels, but it's easy. Some Sunday's we get out of market NFL games from Montreal.