1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question about owned HR20-700 receiver.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mark L, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question about an owned HR20-700 receiver I have.

I was watching TV while working out last week and noticed the picture started to hiccup some, at first I thought it could be my Panasonic plasma, but after swapping boxes, I realized it was the HR20. Upon swapping it back, it did not display any picture via HDMI, so I tried the component output and got a picture, but it was all messed up (the colors were all scrambled).

So my question is, should I just scrap this HR20 via an E-recycling center or is there some way to fix this problem?

I was able to have it replaced via the Protection Plan, but DirecTV said they didn't want the defective box back. I'd hate to just throw this away, if it can be fixed. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this issue? Would I be best off selling it on eBay as a non-working HR20 or just scrapping it?

Just trying to decided what to do and thought I'd ask some of you more experienced DBS Talkers :righton:

Thanks

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    First and for most, the fact that DirecTV EOL'ed it means that it can only be activated by you and no one else.

Since you have a replacement on the way, I would recycle it responsibly. Don't think is worth the trouble to try to fix it and eBay will only get a couple of $$$

3. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are welcome

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You could also put an external drive on it if you really want to keep it. If it's a 20-700, you will see a real difference with a large external.

Rich