1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

question about removing deca from my router

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by iceturkee, Jun 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jun 7, 2010 #1 of 29
    iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered in another thread.

when i upgraded to mrv, i included the internet connection kit which has a dca plus power inverter hooked to my router via ethernet.

i really want to dump my internet service provider and home network to so i can use a mobile hotspot from sprint....either my evo or a seperate device.

if i use my phone, i can use up to 8 wireless devices at one time. the hotspot will only use 5.

my question is what would i lose, if i disconnect the deca and power inverter from the router? is it only dtv on demand? or is it the on demand plus stv2pc?

and is there anyway i could use the deca system wirelessly? thanks for your help.

2. Jun 7, 2010 #2 of 29
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Someone else would have to speak for the wireless options that you could hook the DECA up to but yes you would lose On Demand, TVApps or anything internet related and Dirctv2PC since it is not on your network anymore. You will not lose MRV!

I bet there is a wireless "hub" you could connect the DECA too.

3. Jun 7, 2010 #3 of 29
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You would also lose the ability to play media from your computer to your receiver.

4. Jun 7, 2010 #4 of 29
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Without any bridging outside of the DECA network, you won't have the features that require it.
    Some have used their DECA to router to connect wirelessly, by connecting it to a wireless adapter, which then connects to their network.

5. Jun 7, 2010 #5 of 29
    iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    okay, let me ask this. could i use dtv wirless adapters on my hr23 and hr21 pro to regain on demand plus keep the mrv setup?

6. Jun 7, 2010 #6 of 29
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you mean could you connect the DECA to one of these to make the wireless hop, sure.
    If you mean use the second port on the HR2x to bridge to your home network, it shouldn't be done, is a unsupported method, and could cause several other problems with your network/DVR.

7. Jun 7, 2010 #7 of 29
    iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

i'm not familiar with the wireless adapter in terms of what, if anything, could be connected to it. are you saying there is a way the adapter could connect to deca? if so, would that enable me to use the hr2x for on demand, without the router?

sorry, if i sould a little dense here!

8. Jun 7, 2010 #8 of 29
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Any wireless gaming adapter would probably work... and then you hook the DECA straight to it. It really is that easy.

9. Jun 7, 2010 #9 of 29
    iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

thanks stuart

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    be very aware, vod's are quite large and would count against any cap. make sure you are ok in that manner too.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, most likely you'll wanna stay away from the online downloads of VOD .. DIRECTV2PC & MediaShare are OK, though as those features will stay on your local area network.

12. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

i'm not using either media share or dtrv2pc so does that change things at all? thanks.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you aren't using either of these, then you might be best to just disconnect the internet link altogether. There will still be Cinema titles available to you, but the quantity will be more limited than if you used your WAN connection. If you have unlimited WAN, then it doesn't matter so much other than download speed, but my understanding is that most of the 3G/4G based WAN links have download caps .. Movies will get you there real fast.

So, if you are no VOD, no MediaShare and no DIRECTV2PC and all you want to do is use MRV over DECA .. Set all of your receivers to automatic networking, remove the broadband DECA (internet kit) and you're done. All MRV will work just fine over DECA with no router/Internet connection.

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    If you don't use DIRECTV2PC, Media Share, Apps, or On Demand, you won't miss the broadband connection.

15. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

i do use the on demand but none of the others.

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Since your router uses NAT, wouldn't the hotspot think that anything coming through the router was from a single device? You could use a wired/DECA network to the router and a wireless adapter to have the router talk to the hotspot.

17. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

first, what's nat?

second, from what you describe above, wouldn't that imply i would still have a router? i'm trying to get rid of the router but keep mrv and on demand.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    NAT = "Network Address Translation" where the router maintains the one ISP assigned IP address and then translates all legitimate incoming traffic to your home connected network devices (PCs, network printers, Network hard drives, etc.) by converting or "translating" the WWW IP address to an internal IP address somewhere usually in the 192.168.0/1.xxx address range.

But this would be simplest way to accomplish both these goals, let the router handle the one IP address from the Sprint WiMax hotspot by connecting it to the EVDO modem. And have the modem use it's NAT function to route VOD traffic to any of the satellite receivers in the DECA cloud connected to it.

19. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

okay let me ask this, if i cancelled my home networking and internet service from my current provider and went to sprint wimax (which will soon be available in my area)....can i provide my own router to accomplish what you are talking about here?

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That was what I was referring to in my earlier post. I'm not sure how Sprint is setting up WiMax, but with Clear 4G Wimax I have a wireless modem which I connect to my router*(via an ethernet cable) and from there to my computers, DECA adapter and Vonage telephone adapter, just as I did when I had a DSL modem.