1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about running 4 wires through outside wall

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ttubbiola, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1 of 11
    ttubbiola

ttubbiola Mentor

Jan 22, 2007
    I had my D* installation done when I moved into my new place. I have 3 HDDVRs (Living Room, Office and Bedroom). I also have Sunday Ticket. I noticed that the installer had used an 8-way multiswitch and I had 2 empty ports remaining. I decided to run 2 additional wires into the living room and use the other 2 DVRs and TVs so I could watch 3 games at once.

Everything was easy and is working as planned. My only remaining issue is trying to find a Feed-Through Bushing that is large enough to hold 4 wires. The rainy season (such as it is here in SoCal) is coming and I want to button up the outside with a bushing and some silicone.

Any ideas on where I should look? I've searched on Google and in these forums as well with nothing more than 2 wire sizes.

Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. Dec 1, 2009 #2 of 11
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Nice setup I will be over on Sunday

3. Dec 1, 2009 #3 of 11
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    If the hole is tight enough to the wires, a nice coating of silicone should be all you need.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #4 of 11
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I think the OP is looking for a smaller cable size to put 6 cables through a 4 cable hole.

You may just have to bore a second hole and put the new 2 through there. Or maybe look into a SWM to knock 6 cables down to 3.

5. Dec 1, 2009 #5 of 11
    ttubbiola

ttubbiola Mentor

Jan 22, 2007
    I should have explained a little better. I ran 2 extra wires through an existing 2 wire hole. The other rooms each have their own holes.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #6 of 11
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Ok, then there is really no better substance than silicone in a tube as mentioned above.

7. Dec 1, 2009 #7 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are several companies that offer multi-cable glands and/or bushings, but they are rather expensive and typically designed for use with conduit.

Unless you were doing lots of these things, I'd go with Grentz's goo method using a black or clear RTV. Auto parts stores carry these colors.

8. Dec 2, 2009 #8 of 11
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Another approach=

Pull the cables back through and enlarge the hole to accept a 12" section of 1.5 inch schedule 40 conduit. The OD will be almost 2".

Push the 1,5 conduit through and trim, leaving enough of a stub for a cable end cap. Don't glue it!

For a masonary wall use a small amount of hydraulic cement to bond the conduit to the wall. Electricians clay is just as good.

Inside you are on your own. There are wall plates that will allow many cables to come from a single opening.

OR you could do what the cable guys do. Drill four holes and use four single cable push through bushings.

4 cable bushings are made on unobtanium. They are hard to find and expensive.

Joe

9. Dec 2, 2009 #9 of 11
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Personally I would probably opt for the 4-port keystone plate and get some F-Connectors.

You were right about the bushings. I found duals but every time I typed in quad the engine thought I was referring to quad-shield.

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    As someone else stated SWM 8 man here from solidsignal or try ebay.

Read about it. You may find it useful and since you have a WB68 already hookup should be a snap if you have power near by.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes,

The keystone plates are fine on the inside if you have access to the inside wall. They really do need a 6-9 inch service loop to avoid damaging the fittings etc.

If you use the Keystone plates they really need what is called an "old work" box or a "mud ring". With several cables connected to the wall plate, two screws into sheetrock is just not enough.

Think neat, watertite and serviceable!

joe

The other thing to consider is the statement that the bushings are to protect the cable while being pulled through the hole. After the cable, loop & fittings are established just use the bushing to hold the caulk until it all dries together.