1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about selling Samsung HD receiver SIR-TS360

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rajeshh, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Hello,
    After upgrading to HR-20, I am looking to sell my previous HD receiver Samsung SIR-TS360, and had a couple of questions:

a) Is it ok for me to give my old access card? I googled and found various responses to it dating back to 2006, and there did not seem to be a consensus. Whats the latest on this? Is it any risk? Should it carry any premium or is it useless to the buyer?

b)Given this has OTA, can somebody use it just for OTA HD without subscribing to DirecTV at all. I know I used it for a period of time in 2006 when I had cancelled DirecTV service, but in that case I had the dish, and wiring and access card all hooked up still. But can somebody now use it just as a OTA HD receiver?

Thanks

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    with the new changes to MPEG 4 that samsung will only be good for OTA be sure to mention that the rcvr does not come with a card. you cannot sell the card, it belongs to Directv, not you

3. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    yep, I realize that this will be used mostly for OTA HD and hence my question about whether it can be used without the access card...

I found a thread talking about being able to do OTA on the newer hardware only with DirecTV HD access...which talks about needing the access card as far as this Samsung is concerned:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1396288&postcount=57

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

the prospective buyer would need an unused access card or order a new one. and the Samsung would need to be activated on their account to get OTA Since the Samsung is not a recorder (as far as I know) a simple tuner or the new OTA tuner for the HR21 would be your competition.

5. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    So you are saying one cannot use the old hardware even for OTA without a DirecTV account ( when you say they have to activate a card, I am assuming that to mean having a DirecTV account)

6. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

correct, a directv rcvr can only be used for OTA if it is active, and that implies having a D* account

7. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Has this changed recently as part of whats mentioned in the other thread, and does it apply to older hardware as well? Because for most of 2005, I had turned off DirecTV service and was still able to receive OTA with that box.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

that has always been the policy, sometimes it does not get enforced, but to be safe... it should be active. it's rare on an old rcvr to have an issue, but common on an H20 or H21 to get the error message and get blitzed

9. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    That's true about the Directv branded receivers, but many of the older ones work fine for ota without being authorized by Directv. I have a Sony HD200 that works as a standalone receiver. The LG 3200a does also, as do the Sony HD300 and Hughes HTL's.

10. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    Yes, it can be used without an access card,. I have one and I am keeping it to use if I ever get an HR21. When it boots just answer the question "do you have satellite service ?" with no;it will then set up for OTA only. I don't know if the OTA locals will remain MPEG2, the ts360 only has an MPEG2 decoder. it has an NTSC tuner as well as an ATSC tuner. Did you lose the manual?

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    There is a menu option on the TS360 to choose no dish, it will work perfectly as an OTA tuner either analog or digital.

12. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I miss my TS360. It was by far my favorite receiver until it went south on me and I replaced it with an H20. Now it's just taking up space in the attic until I get around to sending it to the electronics recycle "heaven". It worked great as an OTA tuner but it was still active with DirecTV at the time so I never got a chance to try it just as an OTA tuner.

13. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I miss my old Hughes HIRD-E86 HD tuner. The turbo-tune option was great! If you bring your TS360 out of retirement and plug it in, it will start ticking. Just let it keep ticking, and it will eventually stop. I gave away my old TS160, TS360, and Hughes E86 to friends & family to use as OTA tuners.

:)

14. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm using a 160 in our office conference room at work. It hasn;t been activated for several years and it works just fine.

Gotta have March Madness !!

15. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007

yep, I did a test with it last night and it worked without an access card by choosing No dish as an option. Yeah, I liked this receiver too, but I like the HR20 too now :) and am locked into a 3 year contract ( did the AAA 1 year extension as well), so I might as well get rid of clutter

16. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    I still use my 360 in my PC room. Have been using it without activation for about 2 years now.

Awhile back, I thought the receiver was toast. I plugged it in after having it in my attic for a few months, all it did was click. I read over at AVS or another board that leaving it plugged in over night would bring it back to life. It worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.