1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about sharing an HD box between two TVs..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by abooch, Feb 18, 2009.

1. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    There is an HD box in my basement which is rarely used. I want to add a display to my room which is located right about where the box is...Can an hdmi cable be run from the box to my room while a component or composite cable is hooked up to the tv in the basement? Would this work?

2. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006
    Yes it most certainly can and with the purchase of two RF remotes you can have full function in both rooms.

3. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    I know I need an RF remote but two? the standard one won't work if someone is directly in front of the receiver and the rf antenna is hooked up? I'm thinking of doing this instead of adding another box in my room upstairs and just fishing a hdmi cable up through the floor...The tv downstairs however isnt an HD TV..

4. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006
    Well I have a setup like you have and I went all the way with it, meaning I have a dedicated remote for each TV that is programmed for that TV. If you want to bring one remote back and forth you can do that as well but once you set the IRD to RF an infrared remote will no longer work that box.

5. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If more than 1 TV shares a receiver, they all will watch the same channel....correct? And the picture quality degrades when the signal is split like that, especially for an HD receiver.

J

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Once you set the receiver for RF for one remote, it will ignore IR signals... period. That said, all DirecTV remotes are RF capable, so don't worry about having two RF's. (And the remotes will stay in IR mode for the TV's.) /steve

7. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Same channel yes but it wouldn't cause any quality issues with the picture. I do the same thing, component to one TV and HDMI to the other and the picture is just as good on both as compared to running just one output.

8. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So no difference in picture if you have just one hooked up to HDMI then add the component to the other TV?

J

9. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    If there is a splitter involved i could see a loss of picture quality but with the hdmi and component i couldnt see that..

10. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    you sure about that? I don't think all DTV remotes are RF capable..an RC64 is IR only..

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Oh. Then I'm not sure. All my RC32's are both IR and RF compatible. And my 64 is a 64R. I didn't know there was another version. Guess yours came with a receiver that isn't RF capable? /steve

12. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    My HR22 came with an RF capable remote. My HR21 came with an IR only remote.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Wonder why they would bundle an IR-only remote with an HR21, since it's RF capable?

Since you either own or lease an RF capable receiver, I think both of you have a good case to ask DirecTV to swap your remotes for "R" models at their cost. Just my .02.

/steve

14. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    My early run hr21 came with a rc64 (non r) One I bought a few months later had the rc64r. I think they changed their contents along the line.

H21's are rf capable too, but afaik , none come with rc64r's.

15. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    btw I tried that on a couple of csr's and they just stonewalled me on getting a free remote

16. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    so you positive i can share a box between two tvs one hdmi and on component? lol

17. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    absolutely, am doing it now, no problems. All outputs are active

18. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I do it to three different boxes to two different TV's...

Then today I was going to run a 50' composite cable from my H21 out to the garage. So that will be 3 tv's in one H21 (HDMI, Component, and Composite)

No picture quality loss either!!! I do need to get another RF remote so I don't have to bring the living room out to the garage and get dirty.

19. laciii

laciii AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    I have just installed my second HR21-100 in my component rack. It feeds TVs in both the den and bedroom. I have the remotes for receiver 1 and receiver 2 to RF. Both work great and do not intefere with each other. Currently, I'm taking the second receiver remote back and forth between the den and bedroom so I can control the receiver in both locations. Is there a way to program my receiver 1 remote to control receiver 2 as well so I won't have to carry the receiver 2 remote back and forth? I've tried AV1 but I think it's look for IR and know that's shut of when the remote is the the RF mode. I've searched through the posts and I really can't find anything that adequately explains how to do it if it can be done. Can anyone help? Thanx.

laciii

20. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006
    Yes you can......follow me on this one ok:
    slide the switch to av1..........then press select and mute until you get ye olde double blink..........then type in 00001...........this sets AV1 to a basic directv receiver IR mode. Once you do this then you can Select mute double blink..............961............ channel up once.....last six digits of the RID of the receiver you want to control........select and voila....AV1 controls a different RF receiver then the Directv mode.