1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question about spot beams...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CHaynes112, May 25, 2010.

1. CHaynes112

CHaynes112 AllStar

Dec 2, 2009
    I am looking for a listing of which transponders are spot beams (and should be ignored when aligning a dish). I have seen a source showing which transponders broadcast what progamming but that's not what I'm talking about.

Also, it there somewhere that lists what spot beams you should get in your area (for example, if there are 8 spot beams on 101, should my zip code 25320 be able to get 1-2 of the spot beams)?

-Thanks

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You should not be using spot beams to align a dish at all. You want to use CONUS beams for that.

Here is a spot beam map for the 101 sat, showing which spot beam transponders are used in each area. Unfortunately, there aren't any such maps for the HD spots (which are on steerable, resizable beams).

[​IMG]

3. CHaynes112

CHaynes112 AllStar

Dec 2, 2009
    BZ, thanks for the map. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't attempting to align the dish based on the spot beams... I was only wanting to 'view' "my" spot beams (for my area) after the dish was aligned, just out of curiosity. BTW, is there a map like this for the 119 satellite?

-Thanks

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist somewhere.

5. skidadesert79

skidadesert79 AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    Probably a dumb questions...

If you live in a area that is not covered by one of those beam circles would you then not be able to have D* service?

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You can still get it. The service covers the all of America. Spot beams are for local channels. If you take a receiver "outside your circle" you won't get your locals but will still receive national programming.

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    This has a bit more recent data.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=171756

59 spots for D-12. D-10 and D-11 have just about as many but the FCC website before recent update would not hold the large data files needed to generate the google maps. Assumption is that they are similar.
    Data posted on the FCC application info site is available if you know how to look. Sixto is the "local expert" on that.

This is a sort of cross reference to Sat transponder and locations(DMA's)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=185154

The "scottandmichelle" map above is 101 SD spotbeams from about 8 to 10 years ago. However still the best data till recently.

Doctor j