1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about sunday ticket blackouts on to go.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ciurca, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I see that the Sunday ticket channel is blacked out for Ravens games so I tune to my local affiliate. When I travel, does this mean I can't get the game on to go?

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    If you are still within an area where a local station is showing that game, yes, you are blacked out.

If you travel outside the US, then you are blacked out.

On the other hand, if you are traveling to somewhere that has a different game playing locally, then you can see the Ravens play.

So I've started looking for TV tuners for my iPhone. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

3. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    So if I am in Chicago for a weekend, the ip address will let my get the game?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If a station in Chicago doesn't have the rights to air it, yes. I've heard of people getting blacked out on Sunday ticket because a station in their market had the rights to air it, even if they actually didn't.

5. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Most likely, unless that happens to be a Bears weekend or the Ravens are on the CBS station. This weekend is clear as they are showing Chiefs and Lions.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Zimmy

Zimmy Mentor

Jul 22, 2008
    I hate this stupid rule.

It makes zero sense to me.

If I want to grab a cigar in the backyard, I can't watch my local game on the iPad.

Lucky for me, I can whisper to the iPad to tell big bad DirecTV that I really I am sitting in Alaska. ;)

7. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I understand the blackouts aren't directv's fault, but it is odd to have blackouts on something called "to go" as it seems to presuppose that you haven't really gone anywhere with it and you're using it while sitting in front of your television so you can tune in the local game.

8. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    It's "Sunday Ticket To-Go" not just "To-Go". When you put it in that context, it makes more sense that it's out of market games on the go.

9. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    The blackout rule actually does make sense. The To-Go feature is for out if market games. If you want to watch your local game, you don't need ST, you watch on your local station. To-Go is for ST games, and those are out of market.

10. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Except on Sunday I was a passenger driving to dinner and couldn't watch the end of the SF-Dallas game because of the stupid rule.

11. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    Maybe it was by error, but I watched a small portion of my local game on my iPhone without a single problem this week. I was surprised it worked... but excited it did!

12. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I see your point. Still, the main selling feature of Sunday Ticket, in my opinion, is to be able to watch any game being played on Sunday. When you're in front of your television, that goal is accomplished since the blacked out games are available on a local channel. When you're using "To Go" but are not in front of your television, you simply can't say you can watch any game being played any longer. It's a serious limitation of "To Go." For instance, if I lived in Pittsburgh and needed to be away from my television on Sundays, I might think about getting Sunday Ticket in order to get "To Go" to watch the Steelers. But once I learned about the blackout rules, I'd probably not pay the money for the package. So, even though your point is well taken, the blackouts on "To Go" impose a potentially significant limitation on it that just isn't there with the Sunday Ticket package itself.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes this new To-Go package blackout thing sucks. I can understand blacking out the game on To-Go if it is blacked out in your area. So if you are in Tampa Bay and the Bucs game is blacked out on TV, yes I can understand blacking out the Bucs game on To-Go devices in the same Tampa Bay home area if their IP address says they are in that area.

However, it is stupid to black out games that are not blacked out on TV. Bears games here in IL are pretty much never blacked out (don't know if they ever have been). It is pretty stupid that I can't watch the Bears game on my computer at work using To-Go if I get stuck working on Sunday. I have been able to every year before this, why not this year.

And the advertising excuse thing doesn't work here. I'm not going to be watching the game on my phone/computer if I am near my TV. So it's not like you are missing out on me watching the local TV ads because I watched the game on my computer instead.

14. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    After all this back and forth, glad I have a sling HD Pro.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

The logic is that the game is OTA as it is available locally. OTA signal is everywhere in an area (yes, it can be hard to get behind a mountain or in a building but it is everywhere) and the local station has the rights to the game within that area.

You can get the game if you have the right equipment. A TV with an OTA tuner and appropriate antenna.

Putting these together, it means the game is available to you if you want it and they are protecting the local station's rights.

Yes, it stinks from a customer perspective but not everything is about us, believe it or not. Others have rights, too.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The thing is the local station isn't really losing any viewers by allowing us to stream this. Nobody is going to watch on their iPhone/computer rather than watch their local channel on a TV. So the person either watches on their phone or doesn't watch at all. Either way the local station doesn't get that viewer, so they aren't really losing out on anything. Now if the national feed is still open at least the national advertisers get their ads viewed by the person watching on their phone/computer.

17. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    I wish they could just map (or whatever the term is) the local station onto the ST channel in the markets where the game is shown locally. The station is protected and To-Go users can watch and will get the local station and commercials. Win-Win in my mind.

18. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes and no. It enables people to leave their home who might otherwise stay home to watch the game. Get enough people enabled to leave home and the locals lose out on their advertising dollars.

I very much prefer to be home, yet sometimes I just have to be at church. I would be more willing to be at church meetings if I had a good streaming solution.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The policy has always been there for the To-Go feature, just not enforced as much until this year.

Also keep in mind there are two different types of "blackouts" that occur:

1. Local team is blacked out of the NFLST channel when the game is available on a local channel.

2. Local team doesn't sell out the game within the 72 hour window. Game is then blacked out on the local channel & the NFLST channel.

NFLST was never designed to watch your local team while in the local market.

The To-Go is designed to take your NFLST games with you while away from your home. D* had to enforce the blackout rule to prevent folks from scooting around it with To-Go and watching it at home.

20. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    Just a question to make sure I understand this correctly!
    The games blacked out on STtoGO is determined by IP address you are connected from and not the zip code of your account?

This weekend will be the first time I'll have the chance to use "togo" while I am away from home!