1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about the guide

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by frankiepdx, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankiepdx

frankiepdx Cool Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I'm thinking about making the jump from Cable in HD to Dish for the HD. Some people i knew that had Dish were unhappy mainly because of the guide problems. Saying that the guide only showed programs for only a few days ahead and even sometimes nothing at all. Note that they were using the free non-HD boxes.

I do know that the Vip622 is a big jump from the old but i wanted to know are these problems still happening. I was hoping for a guide that says the programs for the next 2 weeks like the other companies.

I'm a newbie,be kind.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    9 days with the 622.

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Just as an FYI, if you are going to use an antenna for OTA reception you will only get guide data for stations that DISH carries, and only if you subscribe to DISH locals as well.

You will not get any information for other local channels not carried by DISH or any sub channels.

Disclaimer: There are probably exceptions to this but this is the general rule. Just didn't want you to expect to see EVERYTHING from your OTA antenna in the guide and be disappointed when you don't.

4. debpasc

debpasc Legend

Oct 20, 2005
    Also FYI -- since installation in April I have consistently had the full 9 days of Guide without any problems.

5. davisdog

davisdog Mentor

Dec 26, 2002
    what's the most # of channels that you can display at a time in the guide (with Video)...Is 5 the most (that's what I've seen) or can you fit more?

Also, I understand in the extended mode you can see 3 hours?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The extended guide will give you six and a half channels high and three hours wide, with video.
    The enhanced (large print) guide gives you an hour of four channels.
    The standard guide is 90 minutes of five channels - I can't imagine using anything else.
    (The print is tiny on the extended guide ... I suppose it is good on a large HD set.)

(W/O Video you get 3hrs of 9 channels, one hour of six channels or 90 minutes of 7 channels.)

7. frankiepdx

frankiepdx Cool Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I think i could live with 9 days. I rarely look 2 weeks ahead anyway. Also, I think here in Portland we get the locals on Dish without the OTA option. One more day closer to my jump to Dish. Also , I hope i'm reading it right that the VIP622 leasing cost has decreased by a big $. Which was holding me back earlier. Yes , I know i'm getting off topic.

8. davisdog

davisdog Mentor

Dec 26, 2002
    yes..thanks for the info

9. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    It sure is. The standard guide looked cartoonishly big, but the extended guide is a beauty on my 62" HDTV. In fact, I'd go with even smaller print if they offered it.

10. icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    I want a vip622, but I am holding off because of the guide issue with local OTA channels. Dish does not carry locals for my area, but my understanding from the user manual is that you can associate networks with the local channels and have guide data for prime time and network programming only. That's the way it worked with my old Dish 500 system that had an analog tuner. Here is the blurb from the vip622 manual....

• You can add local off-air channels and assign them network affiliations. Once you
    have done this, you can access the channels via the Program Guide or the Browse
    Banner in much the same way as you would satellite channels.

Is this true or not? I can live with this as I do not care about local programming and would not have the option with E* anyway since they don't carry my locals.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Can you tell us what page number in the ViP-622 manual that statement is on?

BTW: Midland Texas is uplinked but not available, if that is your market.
    It will be available soon.

12. icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    Chapter 12 (Connecting Off Air Antenna) page 1 in the user manual I downloaded from Dishnetwork's site.

I am in Midland and great to hear we are in the queue for locals over satellite. I guess I will go ahead and pull the trigger on getting a 622. Thanks.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Interesting - I don't believe that feature was even planned on the 622 (it is the first I've heard about it in relation to the 622).

Perhaps when the manual was written they were thinking about doing that.

The good news (for you) is Midland is coming - so it is nearly a moot point.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Printed manual it is page 108.

Welcome Midland. Do you have more than one HD transmitter there now. When we were there for last Thanksgiving I believe there was only on station doing HD.

15. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    The info was correct for some older receivers (e.g. a 6000). Its totally incorrect for the 622

16. icmoney

icmoney Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Tx Hill Country
    At present we have 2 stations, CBS & NBC transmitting High Def. ABC & Fox are on the air with SD Digital TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.