1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question about two receivers - one on top of the other

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sandra, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    The situation is I have a new HR 34, and right on top of it is my old HR22...or 23...I forget!

The reason I have two is that I still have some recorded content on the old DVR which I want to watch....when I was done I was going to get rid of it....and stop paying for it. I control them through the TV remote, going back and forth between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

I keep the old DVR unplugged, only turning it on occasionally at night when I want to watch something recorded on it.

Anyway, my question stems from the fact that I bumped into a very odd phenomenon. Apparently because the DVR is off almost all the time it forgets where I live when I turn it on! This resulted in me being able to watch my home team, the New York Rangers, on Hockey Night in Canada last Saturday on the NHL Network. Normally I would be blacked out on that channel, but on Saturday night, on my old DVR, it was MSG that was blacked out instead.

Wonderful!

I plan to exploit this further (while it lasts), but now I have a question I did not anticipate....how can I control one DVR with the remote, and not the other one? I tried covering it with a towel....did not work. The remote still worked right thru the towel!

I also tried turning a DVR off, which also did not work...apparently using the Guide button (and other buttons as well), turns a DVR on....without even hitting the ON button!

To make this even 'weirder', this phenomenon works for NHL games, but not NBA. I have both Center Ice and League Pass, and for Center Ice it thinks I am not in the NY market. But for League Pass, it thinks I am in NY. Go figure!

Any remote help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sandra

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can change the IR code by going into the setup menu.
    You'll need to block the other receiver with something more than a towel. I use postcard type items for this.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One thing to keep in mind, though it may not apply in a real world scenario for you:

If you change the code on a -100 device, it won't use that code during boot, it will use the default one. Something to keep in mind if you ever need to go into the boot up diagnostics, etc.