1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about VOD - newbie to VOD

Discussion in 'Service - DIRECTV On Demand CE Versions' started by n3ntj, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1 of 11
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am planning to connect my HR 20 to my router via CAT 5. I have the latest CE and have VOD enabled (did so before the most recent CE 194).

Do all I need to do is connect the HR20 to the router, enter a valid IP address for my router in the Advanced Setup, and press Connect Now? It appears that the first time I do this, my HR 20 will contact D* via the internet and tell them the unit is connected. After which I will see the 'engineering' item on my online bill.

From then on, I can go to a VoD channel and pick a program to add to the queue to D/L? Does it D/L automatically and then I can watch the d/L program? Do Vod programs go to the Playlist?

Is this correct? Is there a D* charge to use VoD?

Thanks in advance. I didn't see a VOD Q&A (like basic setup) on here anywhere.

2. Sep 2, 2007 #2 of 11
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I'm not an expert on networking. I simply plugged my HR20 into my router and the ip address was automatically assigned.

3. Sep 2, 2007 #3 of 11
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    d/l starts once you select a file.
    you can watch it once the download starts. Connection speed plays a big part.

playlist - yes

no charge right now

4. Sep 2, 2007 #4 of 11
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I connected and set the IP address and it looks like it connected. When I run the Test however, it gets to Network and it says connected, but is blank for Internet. Then gets to phone line and locks up. I do have a phone line connected and it is not being used at this time. Is this normal?

However, when I do the Connect Now in the Advanced Setup, I get OK's for the 1st 4 items and says Connected for Network and Internet. And the Congrats message at the top which looks like everything is setup and ready to go on my end.

Now I just have to wait for D* to see my HR20 has connected and when I see the engineering thing on my online bill, then I can use VOD? Where will this "engineering" charge show up on my online account?

5. Sep 2, 2007 #5 of 11
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Don't enter in any IP addresses manually into the HR20. Let the HR20 get network settings from your router's DHCP server. Only manually enter in network configuration stuff if you're having problems with DHCP and know what you're doing.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 11
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    For some reason, the unit wouldn't connect until I entered a valid IP. I am using a Netgear router (WGR614). Looks like its all set to go until D* turns it on.

Where will this "engineering" charge show up on my online account so I can know when to try adding a program to the queue to d/l??

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 11
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have gone into advanced setup and you're having issues, you might want to reset your settings and just redo your network setup. Only go into advanced setup if you're having issues.

Advanced setup takes your automatically-assigned IP address and makes it "static".

8. Sep 2, 2007 #8 of 11
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yes, I know it's static right now. When this gets turned on, I will change it back. Was just trying to get it to connect so D* would activate me.

So, where when I login to my online account do I look for the 'engineering' note?

9. Sep 3, 2007 #9 of 11
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    VOD is working like a champ as of this morning. The engineering note was on my account by 6am this morning (under recent activity) and I've been d/l movies and shows all day and playing around with it. Nice feature.

Anyone know yet how this will work when offered to the general public? Monthly fees, etc.? When will it go live to the masses?

Didn't try it yet, but can you record 2 satellite/OTA programs and 1 from VOD at the same time?

10. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The programs that there will be a charge for has a $ sign beside the title and when you click on it you will see how much the charge will be.

Not sure when DirecTV will release VOD to the general public.

Yes you can record 2 SAT programs or 2 OTA progams or 1 of each and download a VOD program at the same time.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    OK, Thanks. Yep, I saw the $ besides some programs and assumed these were available for a fee. What do the little logos mean next to some movies, but not most movies? Its the little snapper thing they use when starting to film a scene of a movie. Anyone seen that and know what that logo means?