1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about watching movies from direct cinema

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mcl77, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    i downloaded a movie from direct cinema on saturday.
    i watched it sunday, and when i went to watch it again today it said i had to pay the $11 again.

is this a mistake or do you really have to pay again if you want to watch it??
    for what its worth, it was the movie "Goon" which is one of the movie you could download before the theatre gets it.

i was under the assumption that you paid once, and could watch it as many times as you wanted to. $11 is alot for only one viewing.

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Sorry, You only have 24 hours after you start watching the PPV movie before it expires. Then you have to pay again if you want to watch it after that.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Some PPVs are a one shot deal, others can be viewed again within a 24 hour period.

4. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    What movie costs $11? I thought standard pricing was $4.99, $5.99.

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I have always been under the impression that the movie was recorded onto your DVR and once you started the movie you also started the 24 hour timer.

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes, that's been my experience with PPV movies. PPV "events" may be different though...I'm not sure.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's correct. PPV events are different than movies. Movies give you 24 hrs once you start watching. PPV events, if recorded to the DVR, can be watched over and over again.

In the OP's case, he paid the premium for watching a movie not out in theaters yet, but still only gets the 24 hours like a regular PPV movie.

- Merg

8. Mar 1, 2012 #8 of 11
    mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    The movie was "Goon"
    Im a huge hockey fan, and its a hockey movie, so I bought it.
    Its actually not even in the theatres yet, which is why i think it cost so much.

I just thought once it was on my dvr, it was there to stay until i deleted it. I probably wouldve just waited for it to come on bluray if I had known that you only get 24 hrs to keep it.

9. Mar 2, 2012 #9 of 11
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    In a way you're right, it is still on there.

But you do have to pay again to watch it.

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    There is also an expiration date on the PPV/OnDemand content where it will auto delete on a certain date. It will show that date in your list.

11. totalconfusion

totalconfusion Cool Member

Oct 15, 2005
    If you get the HDNET movie channel,you can watch and keep it on your DVR. There is a one time sneak preview of Goon showing on Mar.28. They have several of these indie movies that cost a lot on PPV if you can wait a month.