1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about when MRV comes out of beta

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by GRich, May 5, 2010.

1. May 5, 2010 #1 of 59
    GRich

GRich Cool Member

Feb 8, 2006
    How will we be able to notify D when the time comes that we want to start paying for MRV? Will we have to make a phone call to them or will there be some sort of option on screen to opt in so they know to start billing us? Sorry if this has been asked before.

2. May 5, 2010 #2 of 59
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I don't ever want to tell them I want to start paying :)

I think we will have to call in and get it turned on. I think a menu option would be a headache since people don't know how to read that it will cost money.

3. May 5, 2010 #3 of 59
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Nobody knows for sure yet. I assume that you will be able to do it over the phone (if you get a CSR who knows what they are doing). It could also end up being available to add on the website, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's another thing they will not let you do if you have a grandfathered chanel package like I do (Choice Extra+HD DVR).

4. May 5, 2010 #4 of 59
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    For most people, MRV will require a truck roll anyway, so I'm guessing they're going to want to handle it on the phone.

5. May 5, 2010 #5 of 59
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My concern will be that knowing how well CSR's are trained:rolleyes:, that the script will say SWM/DECA is required and not be willing to flip it on without a truck roll even for those with stable hardwired networks.

Just because the current info says customer owned networks will be allowed, but not supported, doesn't mean this will trickle down to the CSR level.

Then there is the whole issue of not letting the techs touch my stuff.

6. May 5, 2010 #6 of 59
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about that.

7. May 5, 2010 #7 of 59
    cnmurray8

cnmurray8 Legend

Jun 19, 2008
    I hope so. Everything is working fine now.

8. May 5, 2010 #8 of 59
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Since we had to opt-in for the beta, I suspect when the meter starts, a message of some sort will pop up or MRV will stop working and we will have to opt back in and agree to the charge. They know who has opted in and is using it.

Just a guess on my part.

9. May 5, 2010 #9 of 59
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm not quite sure how it will work at this point, but there should be time for making the transition. There shouldn't be anything to worry about.

10. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
  11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  12. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!!

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Perhaps noted before that I cannot find, here is a major concern. Will I lose status of grandfathered free DVR service (not TiVo lifetime) by opting in with MRV at whatever monthly charge will be?

I am concerned they will throw me into the current Premier package and have to pay the $7 DVR service fee by adding MRV. Any insight?

13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It shouldn't affect your DVR service status/fee. But I doubt any of us here know for sure.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Your grandfathered free DVR service should have be gone already...unless you are the type that squeaks constantly to try and keep it removed.

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Not gone here either. From my bill:

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    My Premier package still has it grandfathered in.

17. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Worry is far too strong a word.

What concerns me about the MRV/DECA upgrade is:

• CSRs and Techs won't be adequately trained, and certainly won't be experienced
    • They won't show up witn a SWiM-16, even though one is required (9 tuners) and I'll make sure it's in the notes as well (I'm sure it will be the first one they've seen)
    • They'll have some silly rule to install two SWS-8's, expecting coax home runs when I have it split off where it needs to be
    • They'll have some silly rule that there has to be unused coax connections at the head end, when I want the ability to split things downstream
    • They'll think the DECA interface to the Ethernet network needs to be on a home run
    • They'll want to replace interior coax/coax fittings, etc.
    • They'll want to wire things I don't want them to touch
    • They'll say the PIs for the DECA BB and SWiM-16 can't be plugged into UPSs
    • Think they need to download the latest NR firmware, which could lose recordings on my CE boxes
    • etc.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Mine is still good too. Never had to call about it.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Obviously your install is more complex than 99.9999% of the other ones. I personally don't seem them downloading software or changing fittings unless they find a problem. I would simply say, send them away if they don't have what you want, or pre-buy the hardware you want and install it yourself after they leave. It seems to me you're pretty versed in this stuff.

There have been times in my life when I've had to clean up after techs; it's the price you pay for being so knowledgeable. So long as you don't lose recordings (and I see this as very unlikely) you'll be fine.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Incorrect.