1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question - Almost ready to push the button

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rgreenpc, Dec 11, 2008.

1. rgreenpc

rgreenpc AllStar

Mar 5, 2004
    I have been a DirecTV user for years (late 94 - early95), However my last DirecTV DVR was a HR10-250 DirecTivo.

Since that time I have been using Windows Media Center with 2 H20-100s feeding Svideo into the media center and 2 ATSC tuners. Given the dropping of the HDPC-20 for the forseeable future I am ready to switcht the house to HR23s...

My questions are:
    1. Does the AM21 work with the newest IRDs that have been released?

2. Does the AM21 allow you to record from them at the same time you record 2 shows from DirecTV (so you would in fact be recording 3 or 4 shows at the same time)?

3. Assuming Question 2 is a NO (I have read conflicting things on the net)... If I have 2 HR2X units can I record 2 shows on Box A and watch something via MRV from Box B?

Its hard to plan the logistics... what do you all do?

There are times where I record 2 OTA and 2 DirecTV at the same time... just seems a nightmare to get it all laid out in my head.

Thats one thing I would really miss about my Media Center.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1 yes
    2 two recording per DVR, it doesn't matter whether SAT or OTA, just two.
    3 No MRV [yet]

3. rgreenpc

rgreenpc AllStar

Mar 5, 2004
    Thanks for the reply... therein lies my problem.

I need to be able to record 3 things at once (and on occasion 4).

Lets take Tuesday night for example.. I currently record:
    House
    NCIS
    But then I want to watch something on History channel or record something on HGTV for the wife.

How do you all get around this (especially those of you with families) I can't see the wife going to 2 - 3 DVRs to set up recordings to find free tuners.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Record two and watch a third can be done with an HR [DVR] and H [receiver only] connected to the same TV, where you use the same remote.
    Two DVRs could also be setup this way, for up to four recordings.
    "Some day", MRV will be here, but there is no time frame [yet] for it.
    I have two DVRs & an HD receiver all connected to the same TV & use the same remote, by simply using the slider on it to select which receiver.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually, we have MRV now in the Directv2pc application.. SO you could be recording in another room and watching it via your computer if your computer is hooked up to your main tv....

6. rgreenpc

rgreenpc AllStar

Mar 5, 2004
    I think thats an area I will have to convince my wife of... She is accustomed to having it all in one box, without having to flip switches.

Very low WAF on that scenario... thats why I reall had my hopes set high on the HDPC-20.

I guess my only other scenario would be to drop $1000 and switch to SAGE, I would have HD (even though it would be recompressed via analog HD-PVRs)

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    We have 2 HD DVRs on our main TV and another old Tivo DVR in another room (which I will replace once MRV has arrived).

Depends how you and your wife watch TV. If like many you watch totally different programs then have a "his" DVR and a "hers" DVR.

My wife and I watch almost all the same stuff so we have the DVRs set as such:
    DVR1 - NBC, CBS and hockey. Also has my wife's CSI repeats
    DVR2 - Fox, ABC and cable. Hockey overrun if conflicts on DVR1.

By spreading it out like this we get 4 tuners and rarely have conflicts and usually have 1 free tuner to watch live TV, as rare as that is.

WAF is very high as she know what is on which DVR. What increases the WAF is a universal remote like the MX-700 we have. With the macros she simply has to press one button and it switches the TV input, A/V input and what not and she's on DVR1. One button press and she's on the other DVR (with all the input switching done by the macro). So she doesn't have any issues.

8. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    A plan for what gets recorded where and a good universal remote are the best option right now. DirecTV's long term goal does seem to be a whole home DVR with a bunch of MRV clients but thats still a ways out yet obviously.

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007

That's what I have. I also have my OTA antenna connected directly to my TV's ATSC tuner. I have a highly customized programmable remote (Pronto) so the WAF is not an issue - she has some nice picture buttons to press to do whatever she wants, plus the background picture on the remote changes to let her know "where" she is - H20, HR20, or OTA.