1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question and not sure how to word it

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by garn9173, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    I have an R15 receiver and I spend most of my TV time watching sports. For whatever reason, on the TV I have listed below in my sig line, the sports ticker, crawls, etc. are often chopped off. For example on NFL Network, their crawl is hardly evident. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Yeah, I know it's not a big deal, but I like to follow other games while watching mine.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Check in the R15 menu to see if it is set for 4:3 or 16:9 and check and see what format your TV is set for.

3. White_Horse

White_Horse Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    Some tv's have a menu option to stretch the picture. Had the same problem with my SD tv until I switched the menu setting.

4. subeluvr

subeluvr Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I have seen exactly what you are describing many times and have resolved the problem for quite a few buddies.

What you are describing is called "overscan" and lots of TVs have the same problem. The sizing of the picture is cranked up too big for the tube and runs off it.

When the sets come down the production line at the factory all the settings are made to "defaults" and those settings are often is wrong because they can't take the time to do them right.

Since your Wega is an SD TV there is no user accessable adjustment for sizing. Often, there is an adjustment for this in a hidden menu that the end user doesn't know about. The service literature has the menu mapping. If there's a local TV repair shop that specializes in SONY and better WEGA models maybe they'll tell you how to get into the menu or sometimes they offer a "special price" for a service call to "set up" your TV.

The other option is to buy the service literature but it usually is pricy.

5. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005

My TV has that option, but it won't allow me to do anything using the R15. When I had cable, I had the Motorola 6412 and had no problem stretching the picture.

6. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I had this problem with Drive last week. They had two-line captions for where the scene was taking place (first line) and how far away that was from the next checkpoint (second line). About half of the bottom line was cut off. I attributed it to the crappy TV in the bedroom (where the R15 is). I've since aquired a different (less crappy) TV, so I need to go back and rewatch those parts of the episode to see how different it is.

Even though it was a crappy TV, I find it hard to believe it was so bad that those captions were within "title safe" and still cut off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.