1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question for users regarding location

Discussion in 'The OT' started by longrider, Oct 20, 2013.

1. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Watching the discussions about location in the gas price thread made me wonder about this. Why would anyone be unwilling to say what town or even what state they live in? While I would never post my home address, phone number or even email on a discussion forum the truth is there are a lot easier ways to find me in today's world then to do the detective work required from getting my town in a forum. Before anyone says anything this is NOT aimed at the member involved in the gas price thread, that is just what really made me think about it.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You know - I don't mind helping people with their TV reception issues - but in order to do that, you have to have a vague idea where they live. People that want help without providing info have been getting a pass from me on helping them.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I think it gives people a false sense of security just like thinking a chain on your front door is actually going to prevent someone from kicking the door in?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It would be useful if more listed their DMA, which of course may not be the actual city or even state they live in.

Same goes for a basic listing of their equipment (and kept current). Of course some would be excluded, I'm not sure I want to know what VOS has at home, but he isn't exactly the type that needs our help anyway,

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    For some, it's ignorance of the benefits to all in some discussions. For some, it's laziness. For some, it's perversity. For some it is fear. I've probably left out some other important "reason".

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I agree! Why post a gas price for location - USA???

You've already posted on the internet, anyone that wants your location already has it.

7. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I actually like to see where people are from! I'm always interested in hearing about places in the country I have never been to, or heard of.

1 person likes this.
  8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I don't mind a vague location ... a more accurate location helps in some threads. There is no rule that requires that a location be given in any thread - but there are certainly threads where it helps the conversation. If a user refuses to give a useful enough location it is easy to move on to another post or another thread without making a big deal out of the omission.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Well said. Unfortunately for some it's not easy for them to move on to another post or thread without making a big deal out of my omission.

10. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    MysteryMan, as I said in my opening post this thread is not aimed at you, it was just your ongoing discussion in the other thread that inspired this. I have been on discussion forums long before I signed up here and have seen a few people who feel as you do. I am just trying to get insight into why people feel that way as I do not see it. I agree with what James Long said, there is no obligation to post a location and in threads where a location is relevant I just ignore posts with no location.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My guess is that some folks are paranoid. I have seen a few posters that mention that they have a 26 or longer characters password in their wireless network. They feel that this is more secure than having a shorter one. I dont agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The more people post on this subject the more comical and amusing it gets. Take the time to look and you'll find there are a abundance of DBSTalk members who not only do not list their location but have left their profile a blank. But nobody's jumping through hoops over that. There could be one or more reasons why I chose not to list my location. Being paranoid is NOT one of them. Maybe my user name has something to do with it. Maybe I have amnesia and can't remember where I live. Maybe my grammar isn't up to par and I can't spell my location. Maybe I reside at more than one location as many people do. Maybe I enjoying seeing people's reaction to me not listing my location. I could go on but why bother. There will always be those who get extremely upset over trivial things. That's their business. Not listing my location is my business.

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, it's that some are just dug in on the issue, and will never change. A few seem to relish the attention it gets. They won't change, either.

14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know where most folks on the forum live, even the people that don't post their locations. How? If I find them interesting (you, for example, because of the controversy involving your user name when you joined us), I PM them and find out that way. And I respect their privacy and never reveal their location.

All that said, it does drive me nutz at times when location becomes part of the conversation and I don't know where the posters are.

Kind of a conundrum, no?

Rich

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Whaaaaaaaatttttt!!!! I interesting only due to my handle???? I am very insulted.....

:)

Seeing a location helps me visualize posters, important to me. Of course, my visualizations bear no resemblance to reality, except for those members I've met, and they all post their locations anyhow.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They believe it makes 'em more secure. It doesn't, but you'll never convince 'em.

Unless you want to totally get off the grid, any tracing service can quickly find you.

17. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For those of you that don't get what we're talking about, some of us thought the Lax part of his user name referred to a commonly used laxative. Seriously. We had a lot of fun with that and him. He handled all that with his usual good humor and I learned what the acronym for LaCrosse is.

Rich

18. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Their Location is the first thing I check when an area is involved. If it's blank, I move onto the next post or thread.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My home security for years has always been a German Shepard. Yep, they can be quickly defeated, but not by your common burglar.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The forum could make that mandatory.