1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question For When Swapping To A New Hr-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JFHughes08088, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I received a replacement HR-20. If I swap the receivers and activate the card, will I still be able to view the programming saved on the first HR-20 hard drive. If yes, I will swap out the receivers and then record all my existing recording to a PVR. If not, I will do the recording first, then swap. Anyone know if I can watch recorded contect on a receiver that has a de-activated card?

2. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I don't think that you can transfer from one unit to another, and I'm pretty sure that you might have problems if the access card isn't in there.

I'd either watch what you have, copy it to DVD, or whatever before you swap out the units.

Just my uninformed opinion... or at least that's what I would do to be safe.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    To be safe, keep the unit activated with one line connected to the dish until you are done watching anything on it that you want.

Carl

4. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I'm not looking to transfer from unit 1 to unit 2. I want to know if I swap the units, can unit 1 still output recorded convent to a PVR for recording before I sent it back

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    When you say "can unit 1 still output recorded content to a PVR for recording", do you mean copying its programs to a DVD Recorder or VCR?

You can continue to use Unit 1 for viewing or copying its recordings as long as it's connected to a satellite cable and you keep it activated on your DirecTV account.

6. gregory

gregory Legend

Jan 25, 2007
    You can't play any recorded programs unless the unit and access card is fully activated. When I got my replacement HR20 I activated my card for the new receiver to test it out. I still had programs to watch on my old unit and I thought I would be able to hook up the old one and put in my activated card to watch some recordings before sending it back but no dice. It said that I inserted the wrong card since the serial didn't match up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.