1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question how how Genie client communicates

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by awalt, May 3, 2013.

1. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    I am looking into Genie and how it works. I had a question I could not find the answer to, I thought it might be in the First Look for the Genie client but that link is broken;

I have a TV not on the DTV system because I cannot easily run a cable there. How does a TV with a Genie client communicate with the main Genie receiver - wireless? network cable? through satellite other?

I am wondering if Genie is a way to bring DTV to this isolated TV. Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You still need a coax run to the client location.

3. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Thank you Carl!

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While the Genie Mini is limited to using DECA over coax, all other RVU client devices (TVs only at this time) use conventional network cabling.

Wireless is considered unsuitable for WHDS traffic. DIRECTV offers it exclusively for making connections to the Internet.

5. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    But he could technically hook up a DECA unit in reverse using a DECA power supply and a wifi bridge. Just not sure it'd work reliably over wifi, but that all depends on how far it is from the wireless router and how robust and stable his signal is. If he has those items there already it may be worth a shot to test.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    In spite of Harsh's 'expert' but somewhat inaccurate advice, I've been using a C31 client hooked only to a WCCK without a problem. Whole Home and MRV work very nicely over my 5GHz wireless.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In my experience, whole home via wireless only works well in one direction, wired on server, wireless on client.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Pre DECA, I easily had 4 streams (plus 2 VOD downloads) going wirelessly with no problems. 2 in / 2 out between 2 HR2xes wireless in the bedroom, 2 HR2xes wired in the living room. This was using a WGA600N bridge in the bedroom to a WRT-600N running dd-wrt router.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Coax would be best.
    Ethernet would be next, using a DECA to the Client.
    Wireless to a wireless CCK [DECA] has worked, but there are more variables to this so this may or may not work for you.