1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on a SWM LNB replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TBlazer07, May 10, 2009.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    1) If I just remove the standard 4 output LNB (non-SWM 5LNB SLIMline) from the dishes arm and replace it with a SL3 or SL5 SWM LNB would "reaiming" the dish be necessary assuming of course I don't disturb the dish? I am currently getting excellent signal on all sats.

2) Can I put a SWS2 splitter outside up on the roof right at the dish because I have 1 room about 6' from the dish that currently has it's own run of cable. I can wrap this splitter in plastic to keep it dry.

The other 3 rooms need about a 100' run of RG6 to the other side of the house which would go to an SWS4 wich would be inside.

How/where would the P.I. work in this config?

2. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    1) yes, you can no re-aiming would be required. (Don't bump it). Keep the bolts as you will need them for the new LNB.

2) You need a power passing splitter. It can be outside The Power Inserter must be inside and on the power passing leg. You should not put the splitter in plastic. you need a minimum of 15' of coax between the LNB and the PI

LNB ---> SWS2 ---|------> PI ----> receiver

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks ... I'm a bit confused. Does this scenario look correct:

From the SWM-LNB I would go to the RED power pass OUT port on the SWS-2 which would be on the roof right next to the dish.

From the one SWS 2 OUT (non-powered) port I would go to the 1 RX which is directlly UNDER the dish.

FROM the SWS-2 RED power pass IN port that is on splitter on the roof by the dish I would run the 100' line to my garage where the SWS-8 is and that cable would go to the RED POWER OUT port on the SWS-8.

The Power supply would connect to the RED POWER-IN port on the SWS-8 in the garage.

All the other receivers on that side of the house would go to the non-power pass ports on the SWS-8 in the garage.

Does this sound correct or am I way off. :)

EDIT: Do the unused ports on the SWS-8 need to be terminated?

4. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    You have your Ins and Outs backwards on each splitter, noted in red above.

5. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    And yes, you should terminate all unused ports.

I would definately use rubber boots on the splitter at the dish, as well.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I would NOT recommend placing the splitter on the roof, fully exposed to the weather. You're better off extending the one cable so that the splitter can be moved under the eave or somewhere that offers some protection. Your cables shouldn't be run across the roof if at all possible; the sun and weather will greatly increase the wear of the cables as well.

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thank You! That's the story of my life. :grin:

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Unfortunately there isn't much choice on that splitter. What about just coating it with some sort of silicon or rubber sealant (any suggestion)? It would only be a 2-way so it would be pretty small. Right now there is a WB68 just sitting vertically up on the peak of the roof which was installed there by DirecTV.