1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question on install of Hopper upgrade

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by fudpucker, May 24, 2013.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Current setup: 722K plus two 612s. 722 is in main room (Den,) one 612 is in sunroom, one 612 is downstairs in bedroom.

I've been waiting to upgrade to a Hopper w/Sling, Hopper, and Joey (Den, Bedroom, and Sunroom repectively) until we move from our current den into another room upstairs which we are converting to be the new den. When we had the original install here, the tech went ahead and ran coax into the room in which we will be moving, so that all I would need to do to move into the new room was disconnect the cable for the current den from the splitter outside, connect the coax from the new room to the splitter, then move the receiver into the new room and connect it to the coax in that room.

My question: if I go ahead and have them do a Hopper upgrade now, in the current room, will they simply use the current coax and will it be just as simple to switch rooms later?

Thanks

2. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    The switch should be just as easy providing the cable to the new room is of good quality. (RG6)

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    for clients [Joye] the cable requirement is not that strict: RG-59 should works OK

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    you can get good reading at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php page

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, problem is that the alternate cable the installer ran for us before in the unused room was whatever he used for the older receivers, and that is where the Hopper will be going. Not sure he used any special cabling.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    yeah, this box [H] want 3 GHz flat :)

7. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    If the new Hopper works in one room with the current cable, then I would strongly suspect it will work just fine in the other room. The original installer would have installed the same quality cabling to both rooms.

I proved this to myself, as I have cabling, RG6, which is over ten years old, two lines, and both work just fine running my Hopper(s). I spent a lot of time overthinking it and would have been better served by just going ahead and doing it in the first place and then only worrying if one of the lines wasn't good enough.

Neither of my RG6 lines are rated 3 Ghz but back then they didn't test them that high I suspect.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    For acceptable length of the cable it's true. 3 GHz certification give you assurance in max runs (200' or so).