1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on phone line connections

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Slacker242, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slacker242

Slacker242 Mentor

Aug 23, 2006
    I have ordered a ViP622 and a ViP211 to connect both of my HDTV's. The ViP622 will also control my one standard TV. I understand that the 622 will have to be connected to a phone line at all times which is no problem in the media room.

Will the 211 also have to be connected also at all times? The 211 will be in my living room with no phone jack close by. If I HAVE to have the 211 connected to a phone line what are my options? Wireless? There isn't a phone jack anywhere close at all.

Thanks

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Dish requires ALL receivers are connected to a land-based phone line at all times.
    Your 211 will function normally without being connected, but you run the risk of an audit.
    Wireless phone jacks are available everywhere, around $45 at WalMart.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you go the wirelass jack route I suggest a modem quality jack.

4. skidog

skidog Godfather

Dec 2, 2004
    I have an 811 in the living room that I have connected to a phone line and a 301 in the bedroom that is not connected to a phone line. The only reason i have the 811 connected is because I like the caller id feature. When the installer hooked me up several years ago I asked him if I needed phone lines connected and he said no. I have never had dish turn off any of my receivers nor have I ever had anyone call and have me read the serial numbers off the boxes. YMMV

5. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    "F. Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line....we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account."

After reading through the hundreds of Audit Thread Posts, I decided it was not worth the $45 for a wireless jack :sure:

6. skidog

skidog Godfather

Dec 2, 2004
    That's why I ended it with YMMV. I have never been audited so thanks but I'll stick with my current set up without one of the receivers being connected to a phone line and if they call I guess I'll just have to take the thirty seconds to read the serial number to them and still be 45 dollars richer.
    I'm more curious about what they'll do if someone does'nt have a land line and only uses a cell phone, will they refuse to take the money you're willing to give them a month. And before you say get the most basic land line you can and it should'nt cost too much, well for me that's 25 dollars a month which equates to 300 extra dollars a year which is quite alot of money.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    My guess is that no they do not normally refuse to provide service. however if they suspect signal theft/piracty etc they do take action.

Any number of people have simply read the serial numbers off during the call and have not been shut off.

8. leif

leif Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    As a current subscriber, can I equip my cabin 15 miles away with a dish and vip 622 without phone connection, and only pay for extra reciever fee and no phone connection fee?

9. oldave

oldave Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    I don't have a problem with phone connections - I like the caller ID function on the 510... my two 4900s are not connected, but if they get all pissy about it, one can be - the other can be connected, but apparently it's modem is out, 'cause I've hooked it up to a phone line and it insists there's no connection.

If the audit team calls me, I can plug in the 4900 with the bad modem (we only use it occasionally, so it's not normally set up to be able to read the numbers off) while they're on the phone and read the numbers to 'em.

A pain, sure, but I'm not pullin' any hijinx, so if it were to happen, I can deal with it.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No. It is a separate location you need a separate account.

11. 12th Man

12th Man Cool Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I'm a new Dish Network customer and I thought it was a given that they'd start charging you $5 or $6 per month per receiver that is not connected to a phone line. Is that not true?

Oh, and you can find new wireless phone jack systems on Ebay for < $30 shipped.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ALL receivers are charged $5 or $6 per month as a lease or "extra receiver fee". People with the newer dual tuner receivers (such as the 622) are charged an additional $5 if they are not connected to a phone line. Single tuners are not charged the $5 extra.

13. 12th Man

12th Man Cool Member

Aug 15, 2006
    So if I have 2 dual tuners -- a 622 and a 625 -- my monthly charges would be: DishHD Gold $69.99 + $5 locals + $5.98 DVR (622) + $5.98 DVR (625) + $5 additional recvr. Does that sound right?

So there's no additional monthly fee for not having a phone line connected to my 625? The only issue is possible disconnection of my service if they find out it's not connected to one?

Thanks!

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a phone line fee for the 625, IIRC. Add $5 for each of your receivers you are not connecting. The rest seems right - add taxes, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.