1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by philherz, May 1, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 #1 of 36
    philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    I was thinking of dropping it.

What happens if I do and one of my boxes goes bad?

I suppose I could pay cash, but do they also let you get a replacement with another 2 year contract extension?

thnx

2. May 1, 2010 #2 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If your receivers are leased, they're not covered under the protection plan anyway; only the ~$20 shipping cost would be waived with the PP.

The protection plan covers everything else in your system, from the dish down to the cables in your home.

3. May 1, 2010 #3 of 36
    philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Ain't that a kick in the shorts!

Soooo, if they give you a used box and it dies after 13 months, you gotta buy another one???

4. May 1, 2010 #4 of 36
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Not sure I agree that if the receivers are leased, they aren't covered anyway? All my receives are leased and never paid a penny for any exchange no matter what the age..

Before I had the PP, about 3 years ago a box went bad. They told me that since I was a good customer they would swap it and waive the shipping charges too since I was entitled to one exchange or service visit a year due to my longevity and good payment history with Directv.

A side benefit of the PP is the ability to turn receivers on/off at will. If you have a guest room or extra receivers used ony for Sunday Ticket, with the PP you can call every few weeks, turn receivers on and off to temporarily suspend service. So in effect you pay $6/month for the opportunity to turn off receivers costing $5/month. Not a great dollar trade off for just this feature but a not so well known side benefit.

5. May 1, 2010 #5 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I guess I should clarify: a leased receiver will be replaced for free no matter what, PP or not. The protection plan waives the requisite $20 shipping fee.

6. May 1, 2010 #6 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Uh, no. The protection plan does not provide this benefit. Either you got lucky, your receiver is owned or it was a coincidence.

7. May 1, 2010 #7 of 36
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yep I agree on the leased exchange clarification.

I have turned off one receiver 3x-4x over the past year and a half for 2 or more months at a time. I call the CSR and say something to the effect off, since I have the PP plan would you please turn off the receiver x temporarily and I'll call back in 2 or 3 months to turn it back on and they do it. Same as when I turn it back on. They don't remove it from my account nor want it back. Its leased. My neighbor who has 3 extra receivers for Sunday ticket viewing does this when Football ends and clued me into this.

8. May 1, 2010 #8 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I think your logic is faulty. Just because you said you have the protection plan doesn't mean that's the reason they didn't ask for it back.

9. May 1, 2010 #9 of 36
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anybody that has to go thru the nightmare that I did because of a crappy initial installation will appreciate the PP. I had numerous service calls over the first year and a half that I had HD service and those service calls would have cost me a fortune. I think not having the PP is foolish. Don't know how else to say that, don't mean to offend anyone, but if you can afford it, it's worth having.

Rich

10. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    A side note to keep in mind is that if you get faulty leased equipment replaced, it doesn't extend your existing commitment, or start a new one.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's something you really have to keep an eye on. The CSRs have been extending commitments for replacements for a long time. They shouldn't, but they do. Check your bills.

Rich

12. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    For leased receivers the PP does not help much if at all as many have not even paid for shipping without the PP. As rich584 stated a real value is with service calls/infrastructure type problems. In addition having owned receivers replaced for free is a major plus. As always YMMV.

Very interesting. I hope this is true. I must say I am skeptical only because this benefit is so unknown as far as I've seen you are the first to report it. It certainly would add value to the PP.

13. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Her in Tampa Bay is a most been the capital of thunderstorms. I got my receivers replaced several times due to storms. It is worth it every penny.

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    :confused: Whomever has paid for the shipping under the protection plan is a victim of notRTFMititus.

Source: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DirecTV_service_contract_v4.pdf

15. Guardian

Guardian AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    I spoke with a CSR that let me know that issue has been corrected in their system, we will see. As far as DPP it is know that it covers D&H on leased receivers as their is only $19.95 charge without DPP to replace. :money: Service calls are $49.95 and remotes depending on the model are $15 to $25 to replace without the plan. :money: With the plan these things are @ no cost.
    From my understanding the only receivers that can be turned on and off @ will are owned receivers. Make sure it is owned before turning off if you plan on keeping because leased receivers are to be returned upon deactivation.

16. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    +500

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think he's trying to say that those that don't have the PP don't normally pay shipping for a leased recevier replacement.

- Merg

18. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    You missed my poorly stated point. I was trying to point out that some/many who did not have the PP did not have to pay any shipping. They received the same benefit as those who paid for the PP. As a result other benefits have more value. I edited my prior post for clarity.

19. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I wasn't charged $20 for shipping when I was sent a replacement for my leased HR20 this week. I don't have the protection plan. No contract extension either. I was pleasantly surprised and would have had no issue with paying if asked.

20. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Ah, ok, gotcha.