1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Surge protection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tvradio00, Sep 12, 2009.

1. tvradio00

tvradio00 Cool Member

Aug 25, 2009
  2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Can it be plugged in? Yes. I have a similar outlet and the UPS that my computer is attached to runs fine.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Don't UPS's have surge protection?
    Looks like overkill to me.

4. tvradio00

tvradio00 Cool Member

Aug 25, 2009
    some do, some don't

5. tvradio00

tvradio00 Cool Member

Aug 25, 2009
    what brand of outlet do you use ?

6. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I would have to go behind the furniture and check. When the owners of my house had it built by Lennar they did some techy upgrades and just happen to be one of them. Came in handy prior to my purchase of the UPS which was more recent. It is a little overkill but if the outlet is already in the wall no sense in removing the outlet. I got my UPS on sale at CompUSA (former Tigerdirect). I am getting ready to purchase another for my plasma and HD-DVR. I never much looked into the outlets cause I have always needed power strips for the amount of devices I have to plug in but its not a problem to have UPS's. Plus the purpose of the UPS is for backup not so much surge protection.

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    It's always been my understanding that UPS's should be plugged directly to house power w/ no other surge devices being used. It can't properly regulate the voltages and sags.

8. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    You are correct but if the plug was already there (like in my case) I really wasnt going to spend money at Home Depot to change it out. I have good results with my UPS with recent power outages due to severe storms coming through my area. The outlets havent caused any issues as far as I can tell.

9. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    That's true. But I think generally they speak of the surge strips that have 6 outlets and allow for multiple devices to compete with the UPS for power. As long as this outlet is used for just the UPS or something small in the other outlet, there really should not be any issues.
    I would not suggest the other hole being used for a vacuum cleaner for example.
    If it becomes an issue, you will know by the UPS crying out with beeping occasionally.

10. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Which sucks if you hear it at 3am. :(

11. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Well, that home depot plug is about $1.50. But it is up to you to make the hard life choices.:D:p

12. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I wouldn't plug a UPS into a surge protected outlet but that don't mean it won't be fine but i wouldn't take the chance.

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't have any UPS units or surge protectors. Why?

After over 20 years servicing radio transmitting equipment at remote sites (with a boatload of surge protectors, UPS units, etc.) I learned that the only thing that protects a piece of electronic equipment when the power line is struck by lightning is to have it unplugged!!

So next time when that lightning storm hits, UNPLUG ALL EXTERNAL WIRES FROM YOUR DIRECTV RECEIVERS!! (power, phone line, internet, etc.) And unplug the multiswitch if you have one, too.

Or subscribe to the protection plan... ;)

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If lightning was my worst enemy, you would be correct. However my power company gives me daily brown outs, power flashes, and power spikes.

And do you unplug everything before leaving your house or going to bed? Just in case?

15. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Well the only thing that is safe here is the vacuum cleaner the house looks like it never gets plugged in.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yours too? :lol: