1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question on Updating my RV to HR-34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kniles, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kniles

kniles AllStar

Apr 24, 2007
    Years ago I had a SK-3005 installed on my RV. Two lines ran to a DVR in the front of the RV through the roof and the other runs from the dish to the back of the RV on the roof. The fourth line was never used. All has worked fine for years but now I would like to update my system to a HR-34 and two C-31's. My question is will the new install work as is or do I need to reroute the line going to the back of my RV into the same area as the DVR to tie it into a new switch.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The HR34 only works with Single Wire Multiswitch dish setups, which you don't have. You would need a SWM8 switch, power inserter and compatible SWM splitters to feed your HR34 and two C31 Clients. You can find all of that stuff at Solid Signal.

Or you *might* be able to swap that dish's LNB assembly with a SWM LNB assembly. Not sure, though. Other's here may know for sure. You would still need a power inserter and compatible SWM splitters.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Sorry but I don't think the SK-3005 will work with a SWM LNB head. It won't be able to aim itself.

I'm not sure that the SK3005 can be converted to SWM using an external SWM-8. That would need four cables from the dish to work. I've done this with a Motosat but never with a Winegard.

Winegard does now sell a SWM version of this dish (the SK-SWM3), which would be the way to go if the budget allows.

Keith

4. kniles

kniles AllStar

Apr 24, 2007
    I think a better question is if I take all four lines from the SK-3005 and load them into a SWM-8 can I them install a HR-34 and make it work.

5. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes you can!
    This is supported by Winegard.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf