1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re: Cavalry 1TB eSATA drive at buy.com....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JAYPB, Nov 13, 2008.

1. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
  2. jdmaxell

jdmaxell Mentor

Dec 12, 2007
    That is the one I use with my HR21. No problems so far. (9 months strong)
    Mine came with a esata cable!

3. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    Have 2 in use now - no troubles to date

4. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I bought one and honestly felt like it ran way too hot for my preferences, so I removed the drive and put it in an mx-1 case. Much cooler.

I put a smaller sata drive in the cavalry case and use that for occasional backups. Lost the one year warranty on the cavalry unit but the OEM WD drive inside is backed for 3 years by WD.

So it worked out pretty well all around for me. Cost me about $30 extra for the mx-1 case but peace of mind on something that i'll use heavily for the next couple of years was worth it.

5. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm using it with an HR20-100 and had no problems for 9 months so far. Mine also came with the cable.

6. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i never thought of expanding my hr20 but can someone tell me is it just as ez as getting this drive and plugging it in with the included cables? (i dont even remember what slots we have open on the hr20 :))

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
  9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Wow, what a price! I just picked one up for my home network... I was going to wait for Black Friday deals but this is gonna be hard to beat. Thanks!

10. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    thanks for scaring me ! :eek2:

erasing upon reboot...ick

but the unit would be on UPS so i guess from what i read no one had erasure issues while on a UPS

11. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    That is a great price, much cheaper than I paid from them just a few months ago. Beware though, that buy.com is VERY slow to ship and even worse with customer service. I couldn't get a straight answer out of anybody as to why it too two weeks to ship mine. YMMV

12. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    +1. I only purchased from buy.com once before and it was a nightmare since I needed it within their quoted timeframe and that didn't happen. I've set my expectation level pretty low on this one and I'm not in a rush.

I've also noticed they basically copied the format of Amazon's site almost exactly, save for the color schemes. Wonder if they're now related.

13. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I bought mine from buy.com and received it in less than a week.

14. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    time isnt critical for me. Do they ship UPS? If so, any way to change that. my ups guy hates me..left 800 dollar box on the 1st step instead of running it up the steps or using a cart. This is about the 10th complaint i have against him

and is there a reason you just cant disconnect the esata and you have to turn off the drive to re enable the internal?

15. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Basically the switch between drives is like "boot order" on a pc.. it checks one then the other, it picks external 1st if it exists.. so there is no "live" switch capability..

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    It doesn't.. but the switch has already been thrown when it booted up.. now it sees no drive at all and locks up.

17. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    wow 181 at newegg...100 bucks is a great deal..i may have to do it!

hope I dont have to make a damaged box claim though

18. AVPhan

AVPhan AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    though minority but had trouble a couple of times (after less than a year).

1 time, totally lost the disk, DVR would not recognize it. Ended up hooking up to PC to re-format (NTFS) and lost everything, hooked back to DVR, then worked.

3 months later, acted up same way again. Hooked up to PC, no dice. Lost everything again.

Sent in for service, they took a week, send me a different unit (different SN). Hooked up to PC, format, then totally lost, PC won't recognize it. Sent back, received unit back, PC will not recognize until hooked up to DVR, let DVR for mat (FAT), then PC would recognize. Gave up sending back to Cavalry. Use it for backup or maybe used the hard disk itself for internal PC.

Bought another brand 1TB for DVR.

19. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    I have a question, they show the model as the CAXA3701T0 even though you go on Cavalry website and they do not even list this as one of their models. Also on buy.com they show a CAXE3701T0 for 151.99. What are the differences? On newegg for the CAXE3701T0 they have it for 139.99.

20. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Nice find. I just ordered one. I like the matching blue light. Little tip. I searched for a coupon code and you can get another 5 bucks off if you find the get $5 off $100 Computer, Electronics, Clearance.