1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question re forthcoming wiring/phone jacks

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by JayCeeVee, Aug 19, 2008.

1. JayCeeVee

JayCeeVee New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Not a techie so bear with me. An installer told me yesterday that they would be receiving training soon for DTV going to single line to power multi-switch and eventually we would need only one phone jack for the primary receiver. Also future DVR equipment will be single line instead of dual. Can you explain how this will work?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    First lesson: nomenclature

When you say DTV, do you mean Digital Television or DIRECTV? If DIRECTV, you should say so and I would suggest that you post such queries in a DIRECTV specific forum. DIRECTV does have a single wire solution and it has been in active deployment for a few months now in Multi-Dwelling Units (apartments and hotels). It will be officially rolled out on a wider basis tomorrow.

The single phone jack is a DISH Network thing as they have hardware built into their HD receivers so that the receivers can communicate with one another without an external network.
    DISH Network's system that has been around for a while now is called DishPro Plus. DIRECTV's single wire system is known as "Single Wire Multiswitch" or SWM for short.

Do a search.

3. JayCeeVee

JayCeeVee New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Sorry, I should have stated DirectV. Thank you for the reply.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i knew exactly what he meant when he said DTV. its called 'context clues.'

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Goody for you.

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008

i suspected you might be an a$$hole. now I know. :D

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is nice to be labeled by someone such as yourself.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Things here turned from very informative to nasty in just 2 posts...it should be re-titled "I can name that insult in 2 notes". :D :lol: