1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re. going from Harmony 880 to Harmony One

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    My Harmony 880 of several years seems to be experiencing some problems as of late, so it might be time to get a new remote. I've read some conflicting comments about upgrading to the One, so I've got a few questions:

1. How difficult/easy is it to take my current 880's setting and all and transfer them to the One? (Seems like a lot of people have had only partial success; i.e., only some of their settings transferred.)
    2. I have 7 different activities on my 880's display screen. The One's is smaller and doesn't allow as many activities, so how do I go about ensuring that all my 880's activities can be accessed through the One's screen? Or is this not possible?
    3. Among the many things the 880 and the One would control are three HD DVRs (two HR20-700s and one HR22-100). Because all three are in the same location, each has its own unique, separate remote code. Would this transfer when I used my Harmony software settings to change from the 880?
    4. My 880 has a tough time getting one or two commands to my A/V unit. The volume is one in particular. There is nothing blocking the IR reception, so I don't know what causes this. How is the One's IR transmitting capabilities?
    5. Lastly, a Devil's Advocate question--I can get a new 880 for around $90. The One is around $150. Is it REALLY worth the extra $60 or so to upgrade to the One? I do hear it's easier to hold, which would be nice, because I have a hard time grasping the 880 with my hand and being able to press certain buttons, like the volume button, without the remote slipping out of my grasp.
    6. Related to #5 above, what would you say are the advantages the One has over the 880? What would you say are the DISadvantages or shortcomings of the One when compared to the 880?

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I went from a ONE to a 700 because the ONE didn't have the "hard" color buttons. I miss the charger base but that's all. I really disliked the touch screen on the ONE as mine was never quite right. Since all I had were 5 activities the switch was seamless.

What you should do is try the ONE from a place like BestBuy where you have a 30 day return and if it doesn't work out ........

You can find "refurb" ONE from Logitech for $90 on occasion as well.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The hard color buttons I'm not worried about, because I've set those up on my screen when I'm doing a "watch HR2X" activity. I have the 4 colors listed (with colored icons) on my screen, so I just press the button next to the color, and voila! :)

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It"says" that you can transfer settings but when I went from an 880 to a 700 it just transferred the stock settings, not my macros or custom buttons.

Probably best to plan on starting from scratch.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, that sucks.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've switched Harmony's 4 or 5 times and never had an issue transferring all of my settings. There's a button that says "have a new remote?" and it's worked every time for me.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I went from an 880 to a 650 (much less expensive than a One) and it was pretty straightforward. I prefer changing batteries to an intermittent charging dock. The first set of batteries lasted over two months. The 650 only handles 5 devices but that meets my needs.

8. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I've had both the 880 and the One. Personally I greatly prefer the One. I truly grew to hate the zillion little all-alike buttons and the unreadable screen of the 880.

The touchscreen of the One can have multiple pages of activities. You can put the most-used ones on the first page and the rest on a second or third page.

Don't know about transferring old settings since I didn't do it, but there is a function for that in the Logitech software.

The One seems to have adequate IR output for me, it easily works a semi-blocked sensor on a TV from 20 feet away.

Keith

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    How is it ergonomically? A little better or as I've read, "A lot better to hold"?

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd say, about the same as the 880, maybe a little more top heavy.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Weight I'm not too concerned about; rather, it's the ability to hold it in one hand and press a few specific buttons. Oftentimes it's challenging on the 880.

12. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    I think the One is only slightly better than the 880 in the way it feels and handles, but it's way better in usability with its separated and backlit buttons. The charger base is substantially improved over the 880's, as I had two of those and they never were reliable.

Whether the touch screen is better than the 880's side buttons is more of a personal rather than an definitive preference, except that only six items at a time is not as good as eight. I kept trying to touch the screen of the 880, so I guess I was always predisposed to the touchscreen. The lack of feedback of a button press can be slightly improved if you turn on the Screen sounds. Since you can go left or right from the main default screen, I put my 2nd most used activites on the 1st screen to the right, and 3rd most used activites on the screen to the left. I now have a total of 8 screens.

13. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I sell and install A/V equipment and choose the harmony line not only for customers but my own system as well.

I had been using the 880 Pro for multiple years on my own system until thesome of the buttons started to give me problems (had to press ultra hard to make the volume up, mute, and the 0 key work). Since I already was using an existing Xantech IR system since all of my equipment/components are located in a central media closet I choose the Harmony One over It's 900 model RF counter part (the 900 adds RF capabilitiers and hard coded color buttons).

It took me about a week to get use to the new design look; but I actually wound up liking it much better. the bottons are larger then the 880's, the actual feel of holding the remote in your hand seems more solid and the resolution on the color screen is MUCH better as well. the screen also doesnt suffer from LCD burn in like the old 880 did.

As far as programming went; all functions transfer over flawlessly including macros, slide shows etc. Transfering to the 900 "RF" model however is not as fluid as it requires redoing most if not all of your setup as the web interface simply wont allow settings to be transfered in the manner I just indicated.

All in all, I think you'll be rather leased with moving up to the "One" in all regards.

14. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Master Yoda, your comments about having to press ultra hard to use the volume button is duly noted, because that is one of the problematic things that is presently happening with my 880. Sometimes I'm pressing so hard my finger gets sore.

15. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My One is to be delivered today. YAY! We'll see if the wife will use it...

16. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I just went from an 880 to a 700. I really liked the peanut shape, but I like the feel and balance of the 700 better.

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes but did you like the part where it was impossible to get the 880 on the charger in the first try? :lol:

My 880 was still fine when I gave up on it, but I got tired of spending 10 minutes trying to get it to sit on the charger just right.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My first 880 (6 years ago or so) was a pain to get on the charger and I actually had to replace the charger a couple of times (in fact, still have a brand new charger just sitting here). My second 880 (2 years ago) is much better. I just kind of toss it into the charger and it works.

19. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That sounds quite familiar. I contacted Logitech and they sent me a new one, even though mine was (barely) out of warranty. The replacement charging base had only two contacts instead of three and worked better but was still not that great. I never really liked the buttons and got rid of the 880 after a couple of them quit working. So far, I'm pleased with the 650.

20. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Mine never had a problem charging in the cradle. About 9 mos ago I had to replace IR sending LEDs, only to have the buttons become less and less useful as described above. I got in on an Amazon cybermonday deal for $99 I think. The 700 was only $60, hopefully it last a bit longer than 22 mos