1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question re. the AM21 OTA tuner & Genie

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Lord Vader, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    First, does this work well (or at all) with the HR44 Genie?

Does DirecTV still offer these to a customer at no cost? Reduced cost?

I noticed Solid Signal has the AM21N for $49, which seems like a good price. I was considering it, but only if it works well with the HR44.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes it works.

Call and ask.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Have three AM21s here (two latest of which are actually AM21Ns).

Got those two more recent ones for free via Retention.

One during the Tribune squabble last year and the other from just a random call in to Retention one day earlier this year and got lucky.

Sub. since '95 with almost always the highest package helped I guess ... :)

4. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    It depends on what channels you want to tune in. Only channels in Directv data base are available it won't scan for channels and new subchannels won't be available until Directv adds them to the data base.

5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, this one would be for my account in Houston. I'm sure Houston's locals are in DirecTV's database.

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    It is not a question of the main city being in the data base but of other near by stations not being receivable. DISH tuners can scan for signals and as long as the TV carrier is strong enough it will tune the station, but Directv won't recognize the station unless it is in the data base.
    Poor example but it mighgt clear up your question. If you lived in McKinney TX.. Your DMA would be Dallas and FOX would be channel 4. If you could receive it 12.3 KXII out of Sherman/ Denison is also FOX but may not be in the data base for the AM21 so even if you could receive it the AM21 would not recognize it. I don't have an AM21 so I don't know if this would still be true seeing I haven't had Directv for years.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson