1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question RE: YES-HD RSN

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by IneedCCs, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    I just got my HR20 and have a question about YES in HD:

I saw a post here a few weeks ago about YES-HD. If I remember correctly, it said YES was getting its own MPEG4 channel and appeared in the guide twice, once for the SD channel and once for the HD channel.

Well, I do have it in my Guide twice, and do have two Channel 622s. But they're both SD. As I type this, channel 95 is carrying a Nets game in HD on YES-HD, but it's in SD on both channel 622s.

What's up with that? Is that the way it's supposed to be? Or did my installer drop the ball? (I really don't think he did, he seemed to really know his stuff, but not getting the basketball game in HD on either channel 622 when I can see YES is transmitting it in HD has me wondering what the story is.)

Thanks for any help!

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Do you get NY HD LIL? Do you have a 5 lnb dish with the configuration set for 5 lnbs? There is currently a 3rd YES channel. It is also on 622. There are 3 sets of channel 622 (and also 1/2 a dozen threads around here about it...about 3 at least in the General DirecTV Discussion area). The Nets game is on channel 622 in HD tonight. Channel 95 is the NBA package.

3. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    Sorry, I don't know what "NY HD LIL" is.

I do have a 5 LNB dish, and I am set up for it. I only get two 622s.

I live in upstate NY (near Albany) and am in the Yankees territory. I get YES, get what's carried in HD on 95. Main reason I got the new dish and HR20 was to get as many Yankee games in HD as possible.

Looks like something's wrong. Inaccurate alignment? This is kind of OT, but I just tested my signal strength, and on Sats 99(a) and 103(b) I see a lot of 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (also some 90s and 100s and a couple of zeros).

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I have seen some others post about the double entry for that RSN...

But I don't know the details on it... But I don't think you have it in MPEG-4 HD on yoru system, as the other person I have seen said they had it 3 times with the 3rd being the HD feed.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You will only get YES in HD if you are in the NYC DMA and get NY MPEG-4 HD locals, no-one else receives it.
    Later this year hopefully YES-HD will become a national channel, on one of the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 - until then it's SD only except if you live in NYC....

6. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006

7. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006

8. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006

9. admiral39

admiral39 Legend

Nov 6, 2006

10. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Here's a solution for you all...try becomming Sox fans! ;)

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    sox fans can't spel :)

12. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    That's why they call us 'Dirt Dawgs"!

13. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    As a lifelong die-hard Yankee fan who grew up in Brooklyn, I can tell you that's never gonna happen. :D

14. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Eh...can't blame a guy for trying. I admire die-hard fans, Yankees fans included. Rivalries make baseball the great game that it is!

15. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah, I can see that being extremely frustrating if you're in the YES footprint, but just happen to not be in the NY DMA.

However, I'm shedding few tears for you since I'm stuck in the Granite State and have more problems getting the Yanks than you do.

16. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Designated areas for RSNs is always a mystery to me. It seems as though they categorize them by where they believe the majority of the fan base resides for a particular team. Take for example when I lived in Charlotte, NC, the only games you could recieve on TV were Braves games, as I suppose Charlotte was somehow considered 'home territory' for Atlanta baseball (Charlotte, of course, has no professional baseball team, only the minor-league Knights)

Here in Philadelphia, you have a different scenario, and a much more insidious one. Since we are in prime C* territory, we have NO RSNs available to us through D*, as C* owns both the Sixers and Flyers, and has exclusive rights to the broadcast of Phillies games via Comcast Sportsnet. Due to C* punishing us for all going with a competitor and not the 'Big C', there are NO local sports in Philly for D* owners.

Again, I say, THANKS COMCAST!:mad:

Sports Pack does allow one to get fairly good sports coverage, however, but of course, none of it is in HD. I'll be relying on 'Extra Innings Super Fan' to give me at least a few HD baseball games this season.

17. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006

18. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006

19. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    Was just checking the Program Guide for Monday (Opening Day). Before learning I'm getting the short end of the stick, I was stoked about the prospect of getting most Yankee games in HD this year.

Well, at least I'll get Opening Day in HD on channel 95, or so I thought.

ESPN is carrying the game! Which means it won't be on 95. Which means people in Duluth will see the games in HD while we upstate (and elsewhere in the Yankees region) won't!

Doncha just love it?

(Please don't tell me about blackout rules and how they're dictated by MLB b/c that begs the issue. I see no reason why DTV can't spotbeam YES-HD to all of us in the Yankees' territory.)

20. dadofmace_and_lex

dadofmace_and_lex Mentor

Mar 5, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.