1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question regarding OTA antenna and SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by heathramos, Apr 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    Since I can't get my local Fox station right now, I need to revisit OTA.

I have 3 HD DVRs and each room as only two coax runs to it.

In the old days, I could use a diplexer to share one of the lines (OTA plus Sat line) and split it back out in the rooms.

Last time I looked at this, that wasn't possible anymore using diplexers.

is that correct?

would I need SWM? would I need to buy it directly from someone or would Directv provide it?

would I have to do the install?

I doubt I can fix it today but at least I could have it in place in the future.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The quick answer is if you convert to a SWim LNB, it will serve 8 tuners with 1 coax from the LNB and splitters to 1 coax to each DVR. This will free up 1 coax from each DVR for your OTA.

No diplexers allowed on SWiM coax. With SWiM, you also remove the BBCs.

If you're adding or replacing a DVR, you'd likely get this from D for free. Or the LNB / PI and splitters (green dot) are available on eBay.

You didn't mention MRV or networking but I'd get 3 DECAs and 1 wireless / wired CCK to complete the conversion.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Two things. First, you can't (easily) use diplexing with your current setup, because the b-band signals from some of the satellites overlap the OTA band. But despite what many people think, yes it is possible to diplex with SWM, if you choose the right diplexers that pass the low frequency SWM control signals. What you can't do is use diplexing with whole home, because the frequencies overlap. But I would not recommend to anyone that they use diplexing even with just SWM, because if you choose the wrong diplexers it just won't work. Just run a second cable!

4. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    A couple of things...

All 3 of my hd dvrs are connected to my network (Cat5).

Also...my house is pre-wired for coax and networking so that each room has 2 coax, 1 cat5 and 1 phone line, with all connections going to my bedroom closet (Sat lines are ran into my closet).

5. shuye

shuye AllStar DBSTalk Club

Oct 20, 2008
    Just for clarification:

Are your HR-20's connected with 1 coax or 2? Do you have 4 cables coming into the house from the SAT or just 1.

If you have 4 cables from the SAT, I would buy a SWIM 8 splitter and then use 1 cable to connect the HR from the SWIM and the other cable for an antenna for OTA.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If you can get an antenna lead to just one of the HR's, you could than share the recording via your networked MRV. Thats what I do, easier than getting my secord HR hooked to the antenna.

7. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    4 Sat cables running to multiswitch
    2 coax cables connected to each hd dvr

8. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Sounds like you are already setup wiring wise to make this pretty easy. Sounds like you either replace your LNB with a SWM lnb or get a SWM8 to replace your current multiswitch. Then you figure out at each location which wire will be the swm wire and which will be the OTA wire. Then all you need is a swm splitter (4 way) coming off of either the swm LNB or swm8 to feed the 3 receivers. If you go the swm lnb route it will free up one of the lines that run to the dish to use for an antenna if you can mount it by the dish.

For the OTA wiring get a simple 3way cable splitter to feed the antenna signal to each location or you could even use a swm one, they are just more expensive and bulky. If you had newer receivers then you could get am21 to integrate the OTA into the receivers. Or you could just run the ota wire directly to the TV tuner at each location.

Since you have 2 cables going to each location no need to bother diplexing. Even if you could diplex with swm since you have the spare wire already it wouldn't be worth it.

Check ebay you can probably find somebody selling everything you need all in one shot. You will need a power inserter with swm as well, so look for an auction for lnb, power and splitter. Pickup the cable splitter at hardware store or you may have on the house from prior cable tv setup.