1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tigercat74, Jan 12, 2013.

1. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    Is it possible to get a genie for your house if you just want it on one TV? I have 3 hr24s on a whole home system. I think I would like just a genie because I watch most of my TV on my 60 inch plasma. I would like to think I could save some money each month without the mirroring fees. If you guys know if this is possible and if I would save money, I appreciate your knowledge. Thanks in advance.

2. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    It works great on one TV.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just keep in mind, if you replaced all your current equipment with one Genie, you'd lose one tuner and 50 series links.

4. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    I know but we rarely record six things at once. We keep the third around just in case we hit five. I am not worried about the 50 series links. I would set up manual for whole nights on some channels. I do miss my TiVo because of the unlimited passes but I need more than two tuners.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can also use booleans if you don't mind multiple series grouped together. A keyword search aany csi bang ncis cchans 12 would record all versions of csi, ncis and Big Bang in one series link. Replace 12 with the channel number.

6. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    I tried those but could not get them to work right. Do you guys have any links that would show how to do those correctly. Thanks.

7. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    Thanks for all your quick answers. The other question was how much money would I save. I'm thinking 2 mirroring fees and the whole home charge. Am I right.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep, you are.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You say that you watch most of your TV on the 60 inch. How many TVs do you have? Even with the Genie, you would need a receiver still for each TV.

- Merg

10. tigercat74

tigercat74 Mentor

Mar 25, 2007
    I have three tv's but they really only get used right now to check to make sure they are going to record what they are suppose to record. I am a bit crazy to make sure they are going to record.