1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

questions about Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by robl45, Feb 22, 2013.

1. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    So I"m thinking of getting the Genie setup. I understand with 4 tvs going, I can only record one other program, I can live with that I suppose.

My question is they say on the site you can save money by bundling internet, how does that work and who do you contact for that? Is it worth doing this?

Finally, is it still possible to stack AAA and referral discounts?

And has rain fade gotten any better in south florida?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You've got that wrong. The Genie HD DVR has 5 tuners, so it can record 5 different channels simultaneously.

With a properly aligned dish, rain fade problems should be minimal, even in South Florida.

3. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    yes, but I said 4 tvs going, so thats 4 tuners in use, so there is 1 left to record something on. thats correct right?

Does anyone know about the other questions?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That would only be if you were using C31s or an RVU set for TVs not connected to the Genie. The Genie actually can only support 3 clients at once. They only use a tuner from the Genie when they are watching live, or in the buffer.

You don't have to use a client, you can get a full receiver, which never uses a tuner from Genie. Those cannot fully manage the Genie, or pause/rewind live like a client can.

I believe AAA and the referral discounts cannot be stacked.

5. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    right so I have 4 tvs, the genie would be on the main tv, the 3 clients for the wife and kids. if they were all watching, i'm left with 1 turner to record on, technically 2 tuners since I always watch recorded shows.

All 3 genie clients can pull recorded shows right? There isn't some weird limitation or something? I believe there was a limitation of 3 remote viewings or something before they named it genie?

And if I did go with separate receivers down the line, they can still grab from the genie I thought as far as recorded shows?

So no one knows what internet providers they use? I really don't want to call as they are very high pressure on the phone to buy and if I have to go through AAA to get the discount, I don't want to waste anyones time.

6. Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2012
    They use whatever Internet provider is available in your area

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, if all three clients were in use for live TV, you'd have one tuner left. If they were playing back something recorded on the Genie, they would not be using a tuner.

Full receivers can play back recordings from the Genie.

8. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Really? So I can bundle with Comcast internet?

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Bundling is different. That is for particular ISPs. I know AT&T, Excede, CenturyLink, Verizon and Windstream are included. Comcast is a definite no. You can use Comcast, but no bundling or discount. We need MattScahum to show up.

10. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Yes. I have TWC for my Internet which is connected to my HDTV which i highly recommend if at all possible. But Comcast will be fine......Broadband Internet is the way to go. I use DirecTV and TWC.

11. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    So I have uverse Internet now, do they bundle with that or I have to go back to old school att dsl with 150gb cap per month?

12. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    AT&T bundles with Directv. They did it for me and I have uverse.

13. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    So how does it work? I ditch my tv, get directv and just keep my uverse and get the discount?

14. RD in Fla

RD in Fla Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    SW Florida resident here. Litzdog is correct, with a properly aligned dish rain fade is minimal. A few pm t-Storms during rainy season knock it out for a few minutes, but it is a non factor IMO.

15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV only bundles with Telcos where they (Telcos) do not have they own TV service available. So if you can get U-who TV (video) with AT&T, you might not be able to get bundled with DirecTV

16. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    I think I'll do costco deal since it seems you can stack it with raf. But then can I still bundle internet if I sign up online?

17. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Bundling service is having one provider set you up for another provider. The only way you could bundle your services at this point, is to call AT&T and have them setup your D* order. If you do, triple check your original order email to make sure it is correct. If you want to connect other deals, such as Costco, you won't be able to bundle though you may be able to setup joint billing. You would need to call AT&T to check on requirements for joint billing.

18. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    so if i have uverse now i'm screwed with that? Could i bundle with someone else? I don't want to pay the high prices for uverse so figured bundling might save me a little bit. maybe i'll go comcast internet for a bit and then have directv bundle me with someone else. would that work?

19. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Nope they will bundle it even if U-Verse is available

20. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    That's curious. I was under the impression if you had D* then you could bundle U-verse internet to it but if you have U-Verse internet already hooked up, I don't see them allowing you to cancel your television service with them and then have you bundled with D*. Seems a big step backwards for them.