1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about DNS (Distant Network Service) and OTA stuff.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JLS24, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLS24

JLS24 New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Ok guys thanks for looking. Im thinking about going to D* but I have a few questions beofre I make the plunge. I dont receive any of my local channels through D*, but when I type in my address for DNS service these are the results.....

Standard Distant Network Service

Network Affiliate Channel Status
    ABC Eligible
    CBS WDTV 5 Grade B (moderate signal)
    FOX Eligible
    NBC WTAP 15 Grade A (strong signal)
    PBS Eligible

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service

Network Affiliate Status
    ABC Eligible
    CBS WDTV-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
    FOX Eligible
    NBC WTAP-DT Grade A (strong signal)

Here are my question....Im wanting to be sure Im reading this right.....

1. Will I have HD ABC and FOX (NY) stations through the D* HD receiver? If no please explain.

2. Will I have standard ABC and FOX (NY) stations through the standard D* receivers? If no please explain.

3.Reguarding the OTA antenna......what does it hook into....My TV?, or the D* receiver? What Im wanting to know is can 3 different standard receiver rooms be watching standard NBC or CBS OTA at the same time? Does a splitter need to go off the antenna? Also If my HDTV is only HD ready do I have to buy a HD tuner to use the antenna or does it go into the D* HD receiver?

Sorry that 3rd question is complicated but I would appreciate any help. I get different answers from D* customer service. Thanks.

2. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    As far as I can tell, the answers to 1) and 2) are yes, and yes. You will have to request them. I'll leave question three to the techies.

3. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    The OTA antenna should connect to the back of the recievers. You will need to get the OTA antenna feed to all 3 rooms so a splitter will be required. Yes, all 3 rooms can watch different OTA channels at the same time. Now, the last part, I know E*s HD boxes have a built in OTA tuner, and I would be surprised if D* didn't include that feature. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will point it out.

4. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    My D* H10 receiver has a built in tuner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.