1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions about French Bouquet and EHDs....

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mnassour, Jan 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Folks...I'm about to pull the trigger on a switch to Dish for Direct and had a couple of questions...

One reason for this is the French Bouquet. If anyone here has it, I'd love to know which bird it comes from. Also, is the Euronews on 901 in English, or do I have to go elsewhere for that?

Also...a REAL basic question on the external hard drives...do these add on storage to the internal drive or do they replace it as happens on the DirecTV boxes? And how big a hard drive can we have?

thanks!

Mike Nassour / Austin TX

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    First, I'd like to thank you for your interest in our company. The French bouquet channels come off the 118.7 bird (you would need a 500+ or 1000+ dish). Euronews will be in English on either channel 900 or 901 and that can be changed if you wish. An EHD will work by recording shows to the internal drive of the receiver, then you'd be able to transfer them to the EHD. EHD's can range from 50GB-1TB.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The way EHDs work on Dish HD-DVRs is that you must record to the internal hard drive, and then MOVE the content to the EHD. This means the show is deleted from the internal drive and sent to the EHD. You can view shows from the EHD directly, or you can MOVE (not copy) them back to the internal drive.

4. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Great, thanks for the update! How long does it take to move, say, a two hour movie in HD?

And as I remember, this IS a USB-2 connection?

5. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    For me it's usually around 5 minutes, give or take.

6. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Does content ever get lost in process of moving it?

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I haven't lost the content due to moving, and I went from a 722 to a 922.

That said I did "lose" the hard drive for a bit on the 922 but a firmware update fixed it.

8. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    I presume both receivers have to be on the same account for this to work?

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    "Ever" is probably a bit broad. But I have 6 EHD's 750GB or larger, three full of movies and two used to regularly store, watch, and delete TV series. I have yet to lose something in the process of moving it from either my 722 or 612.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As Kent noted, yes.

It should also be noted that the content of the drive is encoded and the programs there cannot be read by anything other than a DVR on the same account. Archiving to an EHD does not allow you to use the program on a computer. It just provides alternate storage.

Archiving is also a move ... putting the program in the vault, so to speak. It is not a backup process. Programs stored on the EHD are removed from the internal drive.

12. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, placed the order with a local vendor today, we're set for the 5th. I get a 612 and a 722K, both of which will be equipped for off-air channels. Signed up for the AT200 plus the French package. At least it won't be as sports-heavy as Directv and I'll finally have BBC-America in HD!

13. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I only lost one program, and it was not during a move. There was a software glitch that caused random deletions after viewing a program directly off the EHD. I believe this problem has been fixed.

If there is a glitch during a move the program remains on the internal drive (i.e. it does not get "erased" until after a successful transfer is completed).

14. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I have not lost any programs, but I have had occasions where I tried to delete a program and it wouldn't. Sometimes I had to restore it, and then delete from the internal HDD.

15. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    One more question about the French bouquet...

Does anyone know why Eurochannel by itself is the same price ($20) as the French Package which includes Eurochannel?

Also...I understand that Eurochannel, Euronews and Afrotainment are available in English, or are subtitled. Do any of the others, especially France24, have English feeds for subtitles?

thanks!

16. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Currently, the Eurochannel can be subsrcibed to as part of the International Basic Pack ($10.00), a la carte ($19.99), or in the French Bouquet ($19.99). I could find no information regarding subtitles on France24.

17. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Mary...I haven't been able to find any info on the International Basic Pack. Do you have a link to it on the Dish site?

18. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    At this moment we don't have any links available for International Basic Pack. The pack itself as Mary mentioned is $10 a month and consists of various international channels from our more popular packages, and some English programming. A rundown of the list will be below.

BBC AMERICA (BBCA)
    C-SPAN (CSPAN)
    NASA (NASA)
    TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK (TBN)
    TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK (TBN)
    ETERNAL WORD TELEVISION NETWORK (EWTN)
    KIDS & TEENS TELEVISION (KTV)
    FRANCE24 ENGLISH (F24EN)
    TRACE TV (TRACE)
    EUROCHANNEL (EURCH)
    EURONEWS (EURNS)
    CHRISTIAN TELEVISION NETWORK (CTN)
    RESEARCH CHANNEL (RSRCH)
    HITN (HITN)
    BYUTV (BYUTV)
    COLOURS TV (COLRS)
    LINK TV (LINK)
    NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY/UNIVERSITY HOUSE (NAUHS)
    UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
    V-ME (V-ME)
    FREE SPEECH TV (FSTV)

Let me know if you have any questions specifically.

19. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Great, that is exactly what I need! Any chance that might change come February 1, any chance it might be dropped or replaced by something else? If so, I need to sign up before then. Also, I assume that a 1000+ dish would do for all those channels?

20. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    You can watch a lot of French TVs, and from other countries for free, on your computer, no sign up, nothing.

Google JLC TV