1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about owning the receiver and local channel package . . .

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by brant, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 20
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm moving in 4wks to an area that has no OTA coverage, which is all we've been using for a year or so.

Looks like we'll be crawling back to pay-tv . . . :(

anyhow, if you own the receiver does dish network still charge a fee for having additional receivers? $7/mo is a little ridiculous for a single HD receiver when I can buy the things for just over $100/ea.

Also, is there a locals only package, and if so, what does it cost?

If not I think I'll just get the basic dish america package. Does that $35/mo include locals?

thanks

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 20
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Doesn't matter whether you own or lease your receivers - the most sophiticated receiver on your account is included, then you get charged for each additional receiver (whether it is owned or leased, the fee is the same - it's just called different things).

If you're looking to save money - I'd get a dual tuner receiver (either the VIP222 or VIP222K) or one of the dual tuner / dual output HD DVRs. That way, the receiver is one box that can serve 2 (or shared programming on the others) locations.

I'm not sure Dish still offers a locals only package, But the Basic Dish America / AT120 do include your locals as well.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 20
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    well that stinks.

wasn't going to do dual-tuner boxes because they'll be fed into the HTPC via hd-pvrs. they can only control IR boxes, and tuner #2 is UHF controlled.

Not doing DVR's either because i have a couple TB's of HDD space, and about to add more.

So to clarify; whether I lease or buy the ViP211k's, I'll still pay $7/mo regardless? Was looking to do 3 tuners but I hate the idea of paying another $14/mo. Stinks that the neighborhood doesn't have cable or we could solve this w/ a cablecard tuner.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 20
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Correct about the $7 per receiver.

Dish does offer a kit to do what you want about the IR remote of tuner 2.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 20
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV and Dish Network have ALWAYS charged a fee to mirror your programming to additional receivers, and this is true regardless of whether you own or lease the receiver. It is a programming fee, not a receiver fee, despite how they describe it.

Cable also charges per box...

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 20
    pdh0490

pdh0490 Cool Member

Jul 28, 2008
    i bet if u put am outside over the air u can pick up something go to tvfool.com and see i would befor i pay for tv why pay when u can get it for free

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 20
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i've already done that; which is how i know there is no OTA coverage.

the per tuner programming fee seems kinda bogus. you can hookup a multi-tuner cablecard system and not pay additional fees for each tuner. with cable that doesn't require a box you can split it as many ways possible and not pay a fee for each tuner.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Then your best bet is cable. If you can't get cable then you'll just have to settle for what you can get ... satellite that charges per tuner/output.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 20
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Around here that's not true. I know Comcast charges at least $3 a month per Cablecard, if not $5.

10. slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    You can get the locals only thru Dish for $9.99 per month for one receiver.

11. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    right, but one cablecard can be connected to multiple receivers.

Yeh I know. It was just a general gripe. I have no problem with people making money, but one guy said they just change the name of the charge whether you lease or own.

Looking into some other options right now; we'll see what happens.

12. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    I was under the impression you needed one cablecard per independant tuner. At least, the Tivo HD-XL-OMG has two slots in it.

13. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    no. and i meant tuners the first time; not sure why i said 'receivers'.

ceton has a product coming out "soon" that has 4 encrypted qam tuners using one cablecard in a PCI-E configuration.

14. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Right but that's not something you can go ahead and slot into a Tivo or other Cablecard-compatible enduser device. That's for a PC.

Everything I'm reading about multistream cablecards is that they're not backwards compatible with the original Cablecard spec; to those devices they will only be single stream.

After a bit of Googling, the only thing I can find is that Ceton one that's still marked "Real Soon Now in a PC Near You."

15. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    not sure i understand what you mean in the first line; they are cablelabs certified devices. they use the same cablecard that tivo uses, etc. . .

dual-tuner cablecard devices for the PC already exist, and they use one cablecard.

silicondust is releasing a 3-tuner cablecard device, and i believe hauppauge is about to release a tuner also.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Can you open up a Tivo and slot in one of these new multi-tuner per cablecard tuner cards?

I believe that was the point that he was making. A new design Tivo could be built with a newer design tuner card but once it's built the unit that tuner card isn't changing. If you are "building your own Tivo" on a PC and can swap out tuner cards at will then new design tuner cards would help. But an existing Tivo that requires one cable card per tuner still requires one cable card per tuner - with all the fees attached.

17. pdh0490

pdh0490 Cool Member

Jul 28, 2008
    well if u get cable u dont need a box all u have to do is hook up the wire and ur good to go and u want have to pay the fee per a box just one fee and it all works out

18. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Exactly. For standard STB type devices, tuners require Cablecards in a 1:1 ratio.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you want anything other than basic channels you are almost required to have a some type of cable box now as most of the channels cannot be received by a tv due to encryption, so what you are referring to really isnt an option anymore.

20. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    ah i gotcha.

just wasn't catching on for some reason. :grin: