1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Questions about SL3K4NR1 and SWM16

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ourtoy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ourtoy

ourtoy New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    My current SWM system has an SL5S LNB on what the installer described as a Ka/Ku dish which is on the edge of the roof. It has one cable ( approximately 20 feet) coming from the dish attached to a splitter in a box on an exterior wall of the house. I know that I am limited to 8 tuners using this system but I wish to use more than 8 tuners. For this reason, I purchased a SL3K4NR1 and a SWM16 along with the 29V power inserter. Note: I live in Florida where I get the Orlando locals and have read that I do not need the 110 and 119 satellites- thus 3 LNB should work. My first question: Will the SL3K4NR1 work on the arm of the dish that the SL5S LNB is installed? that is, can I just replace the SL5S LNB with the SL3K4NR1? I realize that I need to run 4 cables from the LNB to the SWM16 and then 2 cables from the SWM 16 to two splitters in the exterior box. However, I am undecided where to mount the SWM16. My second question: When a SWM16 has to be mounted externally, is there a typical location for its mounting? that is, on the dish mast? or on a wall near the dish? or on the wall near the splitters?

Thank you for any input.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You can replace the LNB as described. You can put the SWM16 wherever you wish, it is designed to withstand the elements outdoors. If you put it up by the dish you only have to add one coaxial cable to where your splitters are located, so that might be the easiest/cheapest location for it if you don't think it will be an eyesore. Just make sure you weatherproof all your connectors really well since you get rain there so often.

3. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    My personal preference is to have the SMW-16 mounted inside the premises, however I realize that is not always possible for each to do. Keep in mind it is normal for them to be a little warm.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    and remember - you must run four coaxes from LNBF to the switch

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Warm is the wrong word cool. :)

Use standoffs wherever you mount it so it's not flush on one side to anything and id try and mount it where it will always be in the shade if possible.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    switch placement depends where your ground source is. you can use a ground block to ground the dish/cables or you can use the switch as a ground device. if you use the SWM16 as a ground device, it can't be more than 20ft from the ground source.