1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions before jumping to dish..(From DirecTV)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Big Eared Monkey, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1 of 19
    Big Eared Monkey

Big Eared Monkey New Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok, I will do my best to make this as clear as I can and I hope that you will be able to help me out. I haven't been able to find these answers after searching and reading.

I currently am a DirecTV customer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My current install looks like this:
    Dish is mounted on a pole away from the house in an open area

4 lines are run from the dish under ground and then connect to the grounding block on the side of the garage.

4 lines then run from the block to our televisions (2 lines to each HDTV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Each television will need to have it's own HD-DVR connected. I am thinking that a 922 or 612 at each television will work fine (not sure I need the sling feature of the 922 but I do like the size of the HD)

2. If I have Dish installed can they use the existing lines that are run and install their equipment on the pole (remove the DirecTV dish and put on the Dish dish). I really don't want to have to dig new trenches and run new cable if I don't have to....

3. I live in Oregon (zip 97424). What do I need to look for when it comes to line of site for Dish? I know with DirecTV they want a clear view of the southern sky.

4. Are there any concerns with the Dish signal being affected by heavy rain? (I had heard that in the past and have no problems with DirecTV but we do live in a rainy climate).

5. Anything else I should be aware of when ordering or working with the installer to get this done?

6. Does Dish require a land line telephone? My family does not have one (cell only)

I plan to order the America's Top 250 with HD channels and HD Locals (something DirecTV can't give me)!

Thanks for your input...

2. Sep 8, 2010 #2 of 19
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Two 922s isn't likely to happen. It's $200 for the first 922 on the account alone and I'm not sure they're doing multiple 922s. Do you need dual tuner DVRs at each TV? A 722k at the main TV and another HD DVR would be more than enough capacity. Also, the size of the hard drive tends to be less of a restriction than for D* customers because the USB external drive is in addition to internal space, not replacing it like on the HR series. You could also get a 211k (which is what I have) and enable the DVR on that for $40 with a USB HDD.
    Yes, and they'll only use one line for each location. If you've got home runs from your garage to the termination point it'll be easy. I'd just advise putting a cap over the coax output you're not using in the rooms.
    Same for Dish.

Dish and Direct both use the same satellite band, so they're subject to the same issues. If you don't have a problem with rain fade with Direct, you should be at the same level with Dish.

Nothing I'm aware of off the top of my head.

Not anymore. it's not a requirement anymore but the current corp of receivers allows for Ethernet as well as landline service.

Hope I helped.

3. Sep 8, 2010 #3 of 19
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    http://www.dishpointer.com

Use this to figure out your LOS to the 3 sats you'll need: 110/119/129. The dish will be pointing fairly close to due south to hit 119, but you'll need the sides clear for the other two. DirecTV's 101 sat is quite a bit more to the east, so it's good to check.

Dish doesn't require any connectivity (phone or Internet), but they are pushing hard for it and require their *techs* connect wherever possible. 922s *require* an Internet connection to be installed. Internet connections are recommended for all HD-DVRs.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #4 of 19
    Big Eared Monkey

Jan 11, 2009
    At most it would be a single 922 for one TV and a 612 at the other. Both televisions would need dual tuners. (We own a duplex with my parents, one TV in their living room, one TV in the other. They watch different things etc. The house is connected on the inside as well)

Good to know! That is a much better solution for those times when SWMBO (She who must be obeyed) decides to record hours upon hours of NCIS/CSI/Star Trek Reruns etc

Ok, not sure if I understand this exactly. The run from the existing dish contains 4 coax cables. They are connected to the grounding block on the garage. Then another 4 cables exit the block. Two of them are fed directly through the wall of our living room for our dual tuner. The other two go around to the other side of the house and are in the other living room area. If using a dual tuner setup like the 922 or 612 in either room wouldn't both lines be needed?

Or does Dish run a single line into the house and then you split the line on the inside to each tuner?

Hearing that the install can be done on the pole without a ton of new wire makes me even more interested in jumping ship. Can't wait for my contract to expire with DirecTV.

5. Sep 8, 2010 #5 of 19
    Big Eared Monkey

Jan 11, 2009
    My LOS for those three sats for DirecTV is fine. Dish is back far enough to get well over the trees etc. Are those the same sats that DISH will be using? (EDIT: Never mind, found it under the multi lnb setup and the DISH LOS looks better than what I have for DirecTV right now)

As for connectivity...I do have a wireless internet connection so that's fine...just wanted to make sure I didn't need the landline...

6. Sep 8, 2010 #6 of 19
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Dish run just one coax per receiver into the house. You then "Separate" with a Separator rather then "split" with a splitter. :)

The separator looks like a splitter.

7. Sep 8, 2010 #7 of 19
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    To get into more detail than SaltiDawg did:

D*'s LNBs have combiners built into them. You have your two outputs that run from the dish to the grounding block in the garage. They would then pass from the grounding block directly to your house, though depending on the length of the run they may need to put in a DPP44 (I think, someone will correct me if not) to boost the power on the run.

From the designated coax jack at your receiver's location, they plug a DPP splitter in, which pulls out two signals, then puts them into inputs 1 and 2 on the receiver.

In the case of a 211k like mine, it's a single tuner so the only thing I have is a diplexer that pulls the TV2 backfeed from my 722 out of the cable :)

8. Sep 9, 2010 #8 of 19
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    To tweak a little, it's a separator not a splitter. :)

9. Sep 9, 2010 #9 of 19
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    I'd tweak you a bit more but you're under an ice floe...:p

10. Big Eared Monkey

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks for answering all of my questions...While DISH isn't a huge savings over DirecTV it looks like they have a better lineup for our needs and offer more HD that we would actually use. Now I just need the Contract to Expire.

Another user also mentioned that I should ask if anyone knows of any good installers in my area...so I"m asking for future reference...zip 97424

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yup. Been there, done that. (Two trips.) :D

12. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Another D* sub here looking to switch. I have a simpler setup than the OP (1 HDTV, 1 SDTV plus OTA), but still have a few questions.

- Online config page on Dish site says I'll get a 622/722 for my 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV system. Does that mean I'll get a 722k, and will it come with the OTA module?
    - Can I record OTA channels?
    - Will I see the OTA channels on the SDTV?
    - Will I get 2 RF remotes?
    - Can I watch recordings on the SDTV, or just live channels?
    - Can I split the RF out to a 3rd SDTV?
    - I think my LOS is OK east to west, but I can't go much lower toward the horizon. Is Dish higher or lower than DirecTV?
    - What's the SD PQ like? Is it any better or worse than DirecTV (I don't think it's possible for it to be any worse)?

TIA

13. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    1. Probably the 722k, and you'll have to order the OTA module extra.
    2. You can record 2 OTA channels in addition to 2 sat channels.
    3. OTA channels are only on TV1.
    4. One IR TV1 and one RF TV2 remote. Additional RF remotes are cheap on ebay.
    5. TV2 can watch live from the satellite or a recording.
    6. You can split the RF out to a 3rd TV but it will be a mirror, not an independent view.
    7. Use your zip code on satfinder.
    8. I understand SD PQ is better on E* than D*.

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    One correction - on the 722K and 222K - if you have the OTA module - you can use one of the 2 tuners on TV2 as well.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    +1

Also, I'm not sure why he should expect to receive a 722k.

16. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Excellent. Thanks to all. I don't why I should expect a 722k either, but "probably" is better than nothing. It would be nice to get OTA on TV2. According to satfinder, I should be ok elevation-wise. BBCA and AMC HD, here I come.

17. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    If you have a local authorized retailer that you are comfortable with, You can definatly specify and receive a 722k.

18. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks again everybody. Install was done today. Very quick and professional job. Got a 722k with a free OTA module and one big oval dish (eastern arc). My initial impression is very positive. OTA comes in stronger across the board than it did on my old HR20 or AM21. HD and SD PQ are top notch. I expected to see a little difference in the HD PQ, but I can't see any on my 60" screen. SD looks better. Guide looks better. DVR is great so far. My only regret is that I didn't dump D* sooner. I expected a flood of new HD with their new sat, but that never happened.

19. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    Welcome to Dishnetwork
    i did the same 1 year ago:hurah: