1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Questions before signing up...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by enfuego, Jul 6, 2009.

1. enfuego

enfuego New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm thinking about ditching cable and moving to DirecTV and take advantage of their current deals.

I have these questions:

- Can I get spanish language audio on HBO/Starz/Showtime without getting the spanish package ?

- I will keep internet through cable provider, will D* installer work around issue ? anyone with experience on this setup ?

- Can I record OTA channels on D* dvr using AM21 add-on ? I live on the border and get many Mexican channels OTA ( not digital TV ) will it work with those ?

- If I keep basic cable around ( about $15) does it work with AM21 ?

- Anyway to input basic cable and record it on directv DVR ?

Any tips on signing up for new service ?

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Some channels offer alternate audio. I havent seen it restricted to a certain package.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes, you can select alternate audio without the Spanish package. Assuming the alternate audio is present. I just tried it on Starz Encore and it works fine.

Directv installer will run additional coax if need be. Installation includes the proper coax runs for each receiver. The will not multiplex cable modems.

The AM21 is designed for over the air ATSC digital reception. Cable does not use ATSC and basic cable is usually analog. So you can't connect the cable to the AM21 and get any reception.

And you probably won't be able to record over the air Mexico channels because the DVR and AM21 will only record what the channel guide for your zip code shows as authorized channels. I'm not 100% certain since I don't live near a border but someone might have more local information.

4. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    Also with HBO you get HBO Latino without getting the spanish package. As others have said you can also get SAP audio which is usually spanish on any channel that offers it.