1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for installers on upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TooManyToys, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Guys,

For the past few years we have been using a 3 LNB dish mounted on our southern exterior wall feeding two Sony HD100's at the north end of the house.

The first question is would the new 5 LNB dish still be mountable on the house siding as the existing one is now (excluding LOS questions) or due to their size need to be mounted on the roof like most installations (3 LNB) have been done in this area?

Second question is about the wiring - When the house was re-sided last year, the two cables were run from the side of the house, down to the soffits (raised ranch), through the joists at the soffit and then run through the walls to outlets by the TVs.

I realize if we got DVRs, the soffit has to come down for additional cables, but if we just do receivers, could the existing cables be used?

Third question, if the dish needs to go on the roof, can the cables be married to the old ones at the soffit entrance with a grounding block?

If the soffit needs to be opened up, I'd rather do it well before the installer needs to be here.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    1. Yes, the dish can still go on the side of the house. Actually a number of installers refuse to do roof mounts.

2. Are your existing cables solid copper center conductor? If yes, you have no problem. If not I dont know how critical the solid copper spec is but it is specified.

3. While it wont be an issue since you can use the wall, yes you can use a grounding block and there is supposed to be one anyway where the cables enter the house.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It is recommended that you run 4 cables out of the dish so a multiswitch can be added without taking the dish apart after alignment. You don't have to run the 4 cables but have them accessable for future expansion like DVR.

4. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    You don't HAVE to add additional cables, the HD DVR (HR-20) will run off a single tuner (a little inconvenient right now, in that you would have to watch live the show that you were recording, or watch nothing while you record, or watch a pre-recorded show while you are recording--one of these three options). Soon, within months, SWM should be here, and you can run both tuners off a single cable run.

5. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanks guys.

Sounds like dish will go at same location, I'll have 4 cables run down to soffit, but leave the single runs to the TV area for now.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.