1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick method of showing only HD in guide?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by liquidsense, May 22, 2012.

1. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    I currently am using an HR34.

My understanding is that to show only HD channels in the guide, you have to press Guide twice, then the down arrow 7 times until you get to "HDTV Channels."

Is there a better way that doesn't require 9 button presses? I supposed I could create a favorites list with only HD channels, but that would be tedious. If that's the only method, I'll do it. Just curious if there is a better way.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Most just use Hide SD Duplicates setting. Then only the HD channels (and SD channels without a HD channel) will show up. Only other way to to create a favorites list.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Or guide>guide>channel down>select

4. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks for the insight.

Yea, but that's the 9-step button press that I'm trying to avoid. You have to press "channel down" seven times. Strange that you can't just press up and cycle to the bottom of the list.

5. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    No if you press channel down (not arrow down) it will take you to the bottom of the list. Try it.

6. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    You can also change your settings to have the menu come up first when you hit the guide button, thus eliminating one more button push (guide>channel down>select).

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, it is a little tedious, but you only have to do it once..
    (And then update it when new HD channels are added)

8. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    It would be neat if you could custom map buttons. For instance, some of the colored buttons don't do anything when you press them while watching TV. It would be nice to customize one of them to show only the HD channels.

9. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to say but the color buttons are eventually going away.

10. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean they are "going away"? They will de-program those buttons in the future? Why? Are they causing problems? I thought they were helpful (e.g., pressing blue button to show abbreviated guide while watching a channel).

11. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because the new remotes (in hotels) don't have the color buttons (except the red button). I'm not sure why they decided to remove them from the new remotes, that's taking a step back if you ask me.

Mini guide is now also accessed with the enter button.

12. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I know it isn't going to happen (especially if they are doing away with the colored buttons), but I wish they would go back to the old way of how the remote would operate. I really miss the dash-dash delete. Also, using the green button in the guide to jump ahead a day or two is a lot easier than doing it the other way.