1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Quick question about HD upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wxman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. wxman

wxman New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Hi. First time poster, long time lurker. :)

I currently have an 18 inch dish and a D10 SD receiver. I am planning on upgrading to HD, but I am going to go via a local retailer instead of calling D* because I have specific requirements that I want. (My current dish is on a pole next to the house, and I only want a pole mount for the new dish. Roof install is not an option).

Anyway, since I'm doing the upgrade via a local retailer, is there anything I need to be aware of or tell D* so that it goes ok? Will the retailer take my D10 receiver, or do I need to tell D* so that they send a box to get it?

Thanks in advance!

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The retailer should not accept used receivers. When you call to deactivate the D10, the csr will let you know if it is owned or leased. If leased, they will send you a box with a Fedex label to return it. The H24 is the latest & greatest Directv HD receiver. I would recommend getting an H24 online, since they are not available at regular retail stores.

:)

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The installer should know this, but so that you do and can be prepared, the pole diameter for your current dish is smaller than the pole diameter for the HD dishes. You will need a new pole, or possibly a larger "sleeve" pipe over your current pole.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

:welcome_s

If you ever plan to or think you ever might get more than one receiver and/or DVR, be sure to have the local installer install a SWM-LNB. Not the standard 3 or 5 LNB which will support up to 4 receivers. This provides compatibility to the Multi-Room viewing capability now available.

If you are getting a DVR and at least additional receiver, have the installation include the DECA boxes now. This cost $3 a month but if you don't do it now, the later installation could cost you $149. Unless you get only H24's or HR24's (DVR) then you don't need the DECA boxes.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You are going enjoy HD. Do you got a nice flat screen to go with DirecTV HD?

6. wxman

wxman New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks for the info and for the welcome. It's not a done deal because there could be interference from a tree. I won't know until they make sure.

I've been watching SD on an HDTV for some time now and am looking forward to a much better picture.

7. wxman

wxman New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    My HD was installed yesterday. Paid full price, but that's what I expected going through a business rather than D*. I received a slimline dish (not SWMline) and an H24.

I am concerned a bit about the signal strength on one of the satellites, since they are in the 70-80 range. It could be because of a tree in my yard, but I don't know. I'll see how it impacts my viewing.

I do love the picture though! :) Thanks again for all of your comments.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    70 - 80 is a wee bit low. not really bad, but a wee bit