1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question about setting up a second DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fumundachz, Jul 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fumundachz

fumundachz New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a SD DVR connected to a dual LNB dish. I want to add another SD DVR in another room upstairs. I know I would need a switch for this but I am not certain which one I would need. Also depending on the price of the switch and extra 50ft of cable (2x25ft runs) would it be more cost effective to pay Direct tv $50 to just install it.

I appreciate the help.

FuMuNdAChZ

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Where are you getting the other DVR from?

3. fumundachz

fumundachz New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    either from amazon or direct tv I would prefer to get a used one from somewhere but I dont mind ordering a new one either.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You might be able to get a SD-DVR from DirecTV for free or for $50. The normal price is $99. They will come out and perform the install, which would include installing the multi-switch and running two coax runs to the new room. The install is free in these cases.

If you order the SD-DVR from a retailer, you will probably pay at least $50 and you will be in the hook for the install (either by yourself or via a professional). In this case you would guarantee yourself a new receiver.

If you end up ordering from DirecTV you might get a new receiver or you might get a refurbished recevier. In either case (DirecTV or retailer), the receiver will be a lease and when you activate it you will have a new 2 year commitment.

- Merg

5. fumundachz

fumundachz New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I am mainly wonder which switch I would need so I can figure out the best route for me to take.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Any 2x4, 2x8, 3x4, 3x8, 4x8, or 6x8 switch will work. Two inputs from the dish, four (or more) outputs to feed your receivers/DVRs. http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.as...h-detwork-satellite-equipment&c=Multiswitches has several that would work including the Eagle Aspen for $9.99.

If you anticipate that you would ever upgrade to HD, then you want to get the Zinwell WB68 which is backward compatible to what you need.

7. fumundachz

fumundachz New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you!

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The cost to upgrade to HD (new multiswitch, dish, receiver, etc.) almost makes it worth it to be sentenced to DirecTV prison for 2 years (put up with a new 2 year commitment).