1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by SBacklin, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    When installing SWM, is it true that a line cannot be switched or split more than once?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It can't be "switched", but it can be split more than once [or my setup wouldn't be working]. Now you don't want to use too many splitters or use too many "large" [8-way] splitters, since each splitter adds loss. Try to use the right splitters so you don't need to terminate unused ports.

3. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    The reason why I asked is because I had my SWM/DECA installed today. I told the tech that I would like the single line from the SWM LNB ran all the way up to the one splitter that feeds the jacks in my unit (3). Then in the living room, it would be "split" so one feeds the living room dvr and the other goes to my router. So line from the dish would be split once so it can feed the jacks in my unit and the second split would occur in the living room between the receiver and the router. Was the setup I wanted possible...he said it wasn't.

4. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    What is the distance between the dish and the splitter that feeds your unit? It should be possible, but that splitter would need to be a D* approved splitter.

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    The last tech that was here was agast that my SWiM-16 only went to 2 2-way splitters. I explained that it was exactly the way I wanted it... I didn't have home runs to everywhere, and that it was split where it needed to be downstream.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I would" use a 4-way with one termination to feed the three locations and then a 2-way where you want your DECA.
    My setup is a 2-way to feed two locations, and a 4-way at one of the locations to feed everything there.
    "If all he had" were 8-ways, then I could see why he wouldn't want to do it, otherwise "BS".

7. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Yeah, I figured he would've used a 4 way with one being capped. If he would've done the way I wanted it, it would let only one wire being outside instead of 4 going up and I would've been able to get my second living room window back. I think I'm going to have someone else come out and fix this.

You asked about distance. The splitter is in my bedroom, 3rd floor. Its right above my bedroom closet door which is right by the window where the line comes in. I wouldn't think its that far. The length from the dish to the building is I would venture only 7ft or so.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually I didn't, but mentioned "loss" which was related to the splitters.
    My dish to longest end is about 100'.

9. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    My bad, I thought it was you that said it, lol. Sorry.

10. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Nope. That was me. Just covering all the bases.

11. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    I called D* and they're going to have the local office give me a call. I will have to explain to them what I wanted...again. Here is the the thing. My old setup was 4 lines up my building...2 into the living room and 2 into the bedroom. What he did was put in a SWM LNB. From there was a single line into what has to be the 4 way splitter..it had the one in and 4 outs. Then 4 lines start going up my building and two branch off into my living room, 1 feeds the receiver and the other feeds my router. The other two lines outside go up to my bedroom where only 1 goes into my bedroom to feed my other receiver.

So I will try and get them back out here to take the 4 way outside and put it into my bedroom junction area...feed the jacks. Then split the line again in the living room for the router and receiver and then remove all the unnecessary cables outside. So in the end, it will be 1 line from the dish going up my building into my bedroom to feed the four way. From that 4 way it will feed my bedroom receiver and the other jacks in my unit. In the living room, it will be split there to feed the receiver and the router. If I'm missing something, please tell me now before they call back. Lol

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The only "unknown" here is where you say "feed the jacks". If there are no more than what you've posted, then you're fine.
    If these are old CATV jacks and there are more, you may have splitters that you'd need to remove.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Sounds fine. I assume one of the 4-way splitter outputs in the bedroom is going to go to the LR, correct? If so, that should work fine.

- Merg

14. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Yes, the main line from dish goes straight to a 4 way. From the 4 way, it will feed the living room (main receiver, router (split #2)), bedroom 1 (secondary receiver), bedroom 3 and the 4th output would be terminated.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Should be fine with that.

- Merg

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV trains techs that all lines must be homerun. Of course, this is NOT the case, but DirecTV doesn't trust the techs to know when/how many times to resplit the line, and they don't want techs reusing old, chopped-up cable lines, so training them to require homeruns is the easist way to do it (for DirecTV).

In the real world, having a cascaded split is not a problem unless you're using very long runs or are using the wrong splitters (don't use multiple 1x8 splitters, for example; you get too much loss).

17. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    I can understand that. The place I live in is only about 5 years old. It's new construction. So it obviously has new lines on the inside and it is RG6. I did get a supervisor to call me back from the local office. I told him what I mentioned above and he was like yeah, its not a problem. He is supposed to call me tomorrow to go from there. In short, my entire setup there is only two splits. 1>4 and a 1>2 and that's it. I guess the guy who originally came today was new to a SWM/DECA install. I was his first one of this type. So I'm not angry. I found it easier to let him do what he feels is right then have a more senior tech come fix it. That way the new guy can keep his schedule and I don't have to argue with him. Lol

It wasn't a total loss today though. The new guy f'd up my HR23 and caused it to no longer accept any remote control commands. We tried 3 different remotes and it wasn't working. Then by the grace of God, one of this guy's new installs canceled on him. So he then had a new HR24 in his van. I got the new HR24 to replace the HR23. Lol. I was like yay! Haha