1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Tips for DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by onthecake, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onthecake

onthecake AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    /Begin Rant

DTV.. Since you took out 2 of my 3 DVRs yesterday for a combined total of 6 hours (R15 in the morning and HR20 for the duration of prime time) I would like to give you a couple quick tips.

1. Remove head from ass (This is an important step to ensure quality control)
    2. Test Updates
    3. PUSH UPDATES SOME OTHER TIME THAN PRIME TIME!

The point of having a DVR is so you dont have to watch TV on its schedule. When I have to babysit my DVR to make sure its doing what I paid for it to do it doesn't really serve its purpose.

/End Rant

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    They do a ton of testing before updates go NR. In fact a lot of us around here spend a lot of time testing before anything goes NR ;)

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I would think that DirecTV is well aware that primetime is not the ideal time to push out a software update... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    What 6 hours? Each of my units rebooted in something around 20 minutes and they did it within minutes of each other.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm sure they'll include your helpful tips within their next company wide memo. ;)

6. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
    What does Digital TeleVision have to do with your receivers rebooting?

;)

7. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Listen MANY of us around here spend countless hours testing these updates WELL before they are pushed to you. It doesn't take 6 hrs to RBR either. They are progressive and HAD to push X290 yesturday evening instead of in the middle of the night. Which is usually when they are sent down. Stop thinking you had to baby sit the DVR. You were home and could hit the RBR. Some on vacation may not have been. Third : It's not nice to say things like "take your head out of you a**. Serious. Those guys work hard, and everybody has made mistakes. Was it annoying yes! Is it the end of the world NO. Stop whining and get back to life, or come take a look at the CE program and see how many of us test and help out. Have a great day!

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let's continue this discussion in the thread in the HD DVR forum that's open for this purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.